Bus Fares Up Again,Why?

13 hours ago, LuSiVe said:

My bus fare has just gone down by £12 a month ...

Stagecoach Megarider becoming the Silver Megarider or other by any chance? As mine's gone down the same :D

I've  given up catching the bus because the times and routes kept changing, and frequency of buses were changing too often , they were often unreliable, and on several occasions  I just found the drivers so rude and mean, for example hurrying to drive off when then can clearly see you are nearly at the stop.

Buses from brightside have really gone down hill since the x78 service was reduced in favour of the x1, and any services coming up Jenkin Road have such convuluted routes it can take an hour to get into the city centre.  

Late last year I just thought,  it's not worth the hassle and stress anymore, so now I take the car to town. I'd love to use public transport but it's just not good enough.

Everyone I speak to from across the city is complaining about the poor service, several drivers I know complain about the poor organisation and conditions they work under yet it’s ok for another fare increase??

I'd be very interested to see what impact higher fares is having on the city centre and a few other locations.

I used to travel to the CC a few times a week, shopping, the market, etc, but as the fares got higher I now travel once a week and never travel there speculatively' i.e. for a look around. I go if I need something, and I can often delay that and until I need several somethings and get everything I need on one journey.

Interestingly, last year was the first time I DIDN'T go to the CC for about three weeks in a row. Simply decided to make do and keep my money away from First and Stagecoach.

Loads were shocked this morning getting on the buses to work,and the price increase,First & Stage Coach must thing that everyone gets a wage upgrade every year so are allowed to put fares up,but loads do not,if we saw some improvement in the bus service then we might be happy paying more,but nothings been changed for ages,why?can"t we top are bus cards on line to speed up the trips we make,as Monday seems to be the worse day with nearly everyone renewing there cards and some Drivers taking ages with there touch screen,so nearly always late for work

Bus fares go up annually for the simple reason the cost of providing the service increases with inflation. 

Not all prices have gone up but it should be noted there is now a discount on weekly tickets if you buy in advance rather than on board.

Travelmaster tickets (such as Citywide) can be renewed at www.sytravelmaster.com or using the self service machines at Interchanges. Stagecoach tickets (Megarider) can be bought at www.stagecoachbus.com. First tickets can be bought on their app.

Edited by Andy C

Fares go up services get worse Andy sorry you can try and  say why they go up but its poor 

This country putting itself forward as being a leading light in green policies is laughable given the state and cost of public transport.

Edited by Brooker11

1 hour ago, ormester said:

Fares go up services get worse Andy sorry you can try and  say why they go up but its poor 

And if fares didn't go up when the cost of providing the service rises, then the service will probably close down due to losing too much money - whether the service is better, worse or just the same, its still got to at least cover its costs!

On the theme of the service getting worse - remember a lot of the issues are buses stuck in road traffic congestion, which increases costs - more fuel burnt and extra buses and drivers have to be sent out to provide the same level of service. That sort of thing is outside the control of bus companies - the political will needs to be there at the council and government to reduce traffic and make the buses more reliable as a result. However much of the cost increases are simply normal inflationary pressures.

There is also the recent issue of how many First buses were broken down of course, that was down to the manufacturer First bought most of their buses from - Wright bus of Northern Ireland - going bust and being unable to supply parts to maintain the buses - however Wright bus is now back in business under new ownership so hopefully First will be getting that issue sorted quickly now. Stagecoach hasn't faced that issue as they tend to buy buses from Alexander Dennis (ADL).

Edited by Andy C

Since I moved to Hillsborough 15 years ago, the bus service has declined noticeably.  I walk into HB and catch the tram to town, but coming home, like a lot of older people I want a bus service that goes up the steep hill that is Dykes Hall Road to Far Lane.

13/14 went, S6/S6a, (great local service) went, 31 went, and probably some more.  Travellers were told the very frequent 52a would replace the other services.  Then the Stagecoach 52a stopped going further than Crookes, leaving only First.

Two  52as came together again tonight, people had been waiting at the stop for a considerable time.  Others were waiting for the 57, it was also late.  I try and co-ordinate with the 61 which is once an hour.  Its the most local, not having to traverse Crookes, Broomhill, town and right out to Woodhouse.  These cross city service are doomed to fail at busy times, but they must be considered cost effective?

Andy, as the resident expert on Sheffield public transport (and I've appreciated your posts for years) why does the TSY tracker on my phone tell me a bus is due (usually a 52a) only for it to disapoear from the screen with no bus in sight?

I suspect I live very close to MsMacBeth, and have also struggled with massive gaps/clumps of 52a buses.  I waited with an elderly neighbour in Hillsborough recently for a 'lift up the hill'.  She had shopping bags and it was cold and rainy. After almost 40 mins wait I persuaded her to let me carry her bags and we trudged slowly home.  She was nearly in tears by the time we arrived, very upset at being decrepit and a burden 😔. She loved the old S6 service as it stopped outside her house, and she was able to use it to get out and about almost daily. 

No buses passed us in almost an hour.  This was in the daytime, so shouldnt have been traffic related.