Bus Fares Up Again,Why?

With Such a unreliable bus services we have in South Yorkshire,we seem to get a fare increase every year with no signs of any improvement in the reliability in the Service,Hope the Council in Sheffield can take over the services of First & Stage Coach and bring the prices back down again

8 minutes ago, 1295galaxy said:

Hope the Council in Sheffield can take over the services of First & Stage Coach and bring the prices back down again

No possibility of that happening now.

13 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

No possibility of that happening now.

Oh I dunno - BoJo's hedge fund chums buy up First, Stage Coach etc for next to nowt - a bill making public transport councils responsibility passed - First / Stage Coach share prices soar - councils have to by firms at inflated prices - hedge funds pop champagne corks - repeat for other services........................................

They go up every year. Simple reason - cost of providing the service goes up with inflation.

Commuting by bus in Sheffield is actually quite cheap compared with some other areas and a Citywide pass that works on ALL buses and trams in Sheffield is still about the same price as a First only pass was in 2010, almost a decade ago!

Not sure how the council would make the buses any more reliable - they won't magic away all the traffic congestion that delays the buses!

Edited by Andy C

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Andy C said:

They go up every year. Simple reason - cost of providing the service goes up with inflation.

Commuting by bus in Sheffield is actually quite cheap compared with some other areas and a Citywide pass that works on ALL buses and trams in Sheffield is still about the same price as a First only pass was in 2010, almost a decade ago!

Not sure how the council would make the buses any more reliable - they won't magic away all the traffic congestion that delays the buses!

The annual winge, councils have tried and failed, they were followed in some areas by PTE's who tried and failed, however the cynic in me believes that IF the council ran the buses there would be wholesale changes to road layouts , priorities and restrictions.

7 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

The annual winge, councils have tried and failed, they were followed in some areas by PTE's who tried and failed, however the cynic in me believes that IF the council ran the buses there would be wholesale changes to road layouts , priorities and restrictions.

Might have been the case 10+ years ago - can't see that SCC have the money to make wholesale changes these days.

My bus fare has just gone down by £12 a month ...

In December I have seen three buses being towed away at different locations and four standing still with emergency lights flashing.

Public transport is overpriced and what you get for it is also inferior but when you live on an island people don't notice the difference as much. 

2 hours ago, LuSiVe said:

My bus fare has just gone down by £12 a month ...

Mines gone up about £6 a month. If you had long distance fares you seem to have done alright out of stagecoachs changes. I'm now forced to buy a ticket that's also valaid for the tram even though I'm nowhere near a tram since they removed the bus only tickets

4 hours ago, thecult said:

Mines gone up about £6 a month. If you had long distance fares you seem to have done alright out of stagecoachs changes. I'm now forced to buy a ticket that's also valaid for the tram even though I'm nowhere near a tram since they removed the bus only tickets

Citybus remains available as the Sheffield bus only option.

On 03/01/2020 at 13:46, Andy C said:

How about £3 for three stops or £4.30 return into town where I live, approximately a mile each way? That is First Bus. Our last bus stop into town at 9.20pm and the last one back home is 18:45. Don't moan you have it good.

Still confused by the new Stagecoach ticket choices from 2nd January?

Here is a summary for Stagecoach in Sheffield

note 7 day prices quoted are the advance purchase discount price, a slightly higher price applies to on board sales.

Local tickets

just want buses in Sheffield - then buy Citybus (1 day £4.70, 7 day from £16.30, 28 day £61.20)  

just want Supertram - then buy tram only Dayrider/Megarider (1 day £4.40, 7 day from £14.50, 28 day £52.00)

Silver ticket (Dayrider/Megarider)

includes Supertram and Stagecoach buses in South Yorkshire & Chesterfield (and places inbetween such as Dronfield and Eckington). If you use the X2/X17 bus to Barnsley, the X17 to Chesterfield or combine tram-train with Stagecoach buses this is especially good value. (1 day £4.90, 7 day from £16.00, 28 day £62)

Child versions also available.

Gold ticket (Dayrider/Megarider)

includes Supertram and Stagecoach buses in South & West Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Gainsborough. This ticket will get you to destinations such as Leeds, Matlock, Buxton, Nottingham and Mansfield! (1 day £7.20, 7 day from £23, 28 day £88.00)

Child and Family versions of the Dayrider are also available.

Travelmaster products

These include all bus companies, not just Stagecoach

Citybus - any bus in Sheffield (1 day £4.70, 7 day from £16.30, 28 day £61.20)  

Citywide - any bus and Supertram in Sheffield (1 day £5.10, 7 day from £17.50, 28 day £65.60)

SY Connect - any bus and Supertram in South Yorkshire ( 1 day £7.00, 7 day from £23.50, 28 day £88.20). A child version called Getabout is also available.

SY Connect+ - any bus, Supertram and local train in South Yorkshire (1 day £8.80, 7 day £30.60, 28 day £114.60). A child version called Getabout+ is also available.

Railmaster

offers 28 days travel on all local trains in South Yorkshire along with Supertram, £89.30. Buy from station ticket office.

Special offers

Travelling by Stagecoach bus after 6pm? Evening Rider offers unlimited bus travel in the Silver ticket area.

Travelling in a group of up to 5 people at the weekend? Five for a Fiver offers unlimited bus travel in the Silver ticket area.

Where to buy

Dayrider and weekly Megarider tickets are available from the Stagecoach bus app

Weekly, 28 day and "Xtra" Pay monthly Megarider subscriptions are available from the Stagecoach bus website.

Daily and weekly tickets are also available to buy on board, although note most weekly tickets are cheaper bought in advance online or on the app.

Travelmaster products are available from the Travelmaster website, Payzone shops and vending machines at bus interchanges. Day tickets also available from the Stagecoach bus app and the First bus app. Daily and weekly versions are also available on board but note in some cases it is cheaper to buy in advance. Rail inclusive tickets are also available from the ticket office at staffed rail stations.

For more information

about Stagecoach tickets and to buy online visit stagecoachbus.com

about Travelmaster tickets and to buy online visit travelmaster.com.