Warning! thieves operating in primark/Moor Area

Just before 4pm  today an elderly friend of mine had the contents of her purse emptied.  She was in Primark, she had just opened her purse at the till to look for a receipt.  She then went to look at some items of children's clothing for her grandchildren, when she felt a tug on her purse (which is fastened on a stretchy lead, attached to the inside of her handbag).  My friend tugged the purse and it then fell to the floor and she picked it up to discover all her Christmas money was gone - at least £150.  She noticed a lady with a black stroller pram accompanied by an older lady with three or four young children in her close vicinity at the time she felt the tug on her purse,  and said they quickly disappeared.  She believes she saw the same group of people on the Moor on Boxing Day, and they caught her attention because the young children (aged 4 approx) were going in to shops whilst the parent(?) was waiting for them on the Moor.  My friend believes whoever did this is  a professional thief as her bag was also zipped at the time.

Her husband, who was not with her at the time, and discovered what had happened, spoke to the 101 service, after my friend had got through, whilst they were both in Primark and asked the 101 service if there was anyone around who could offer any assistance to them.  Unfortunately, he was told there was not anyone available.

Please be vigilant, and only take whatever cash you are going to need out shopping with you.

I wonder if anything suspicious was captured on the various  cctv in store.

Edited by Janus

42 minutes ago, Janus said:

I wonder if anything suspicious was captured on the various  cctv in store.

Thank you.  My friend asked, as she could see cameras pointing in the direction of where she was in the store.  She was told by Security in the store that footage would be made available to the police on their request. 

It is disappointing, as we suspect that the thief was more than likely still operating in the area, and could have possibly been swiftly caught. 

Years ago, I have heard staff from shops on The Moor, having walky-talkies and using these to communicate with Security/Police, and co-operating/sharing information with other retailers.  I think the use of these could have also potentially led to the thief being caught.  

Sorry to hear about the theft but I assume it's now been reported to the police shortly after the incident?

if they were still in the area the police could have attended there and then and tried to look.

As far as I can remember there are quite strict rules regarding disclosure of any camera footage and security staff have limited power of what they can do unless they see a crime in progress.

I think the shops on the moor still do have radios but again it is down to what the security staff see happening.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Sorry to hear about the theft but I assume it's now been reported to the police shortly after the incident?

if they were still in the area the police could have attended there and then and tried to look.

As far as I can remember there are quite strict rules regarding disclosure of any camera footage and security staff have limited power of what they can do unless they see a crime in progress.

I think the shops on the moor still do have radios but again it is down to what the security staff see happening.

Thank you, yes, it was reported immediately whilst my friend was still in store.  It's a pity there was no one available to attend.  

Yes, I think you're right about the rules and regs regarding CCTV, trouble is I fear it's all in the criminal's interest.

I hope you they still do have radios, as it's obviously needed.

5 minutes ago, redruby said:

Another one to watch for - a man on Union Street, near the council offices was trying to chat to people before asking for money.  He didn’t look or act like your typical beggar/ homeless person. I suppose he could have been but it seemed very :suspect: to me.

Thanks for the warning, redruby.

Please don’t think I’m being too smart@r$e but no elderly shopper should be going shopping with £150 in cash in an urban area (I’m not elderly but  old (76))

Plastic’s safer generally, especially if you can persuade the elderly to shield their PIN when paying.

2 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Thank you, yes, it was reported immediately whilst my friend was still in store.  It's a pity there was no one available to attend.  

Yes, I think you're right about the rules and regs regarding CCTV, trouble is I fear it's all in the criminal's interest.

That will down to GDPR.

The scheme with the radios still exists, not just for the Moor.

CRAC radio is used by 154 businesses in retail, hospitality and the night time economy to share information about shoplifters and people known for anti-social behaviour. The network provides businesses with a direct link to the Council’s CCTV operators, who will contact the police if the incident requires more support.”

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/partner-news/sheffield-bid-helps-businesses-tackle-crime-during-festive-season/

Security and some normal shop staff on the Moor have radios covering the city centre for reporting issues and warning about thieves in the area. 

Thank you for this warning. I go in Primark quite a lot.

10 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

That will down to GDPR.

GDPR will allow the person in the video to request the CCTV footage of themselves in the store, submit a formal Subject Access Request (SAR) and they should provide it within 30 days, you will need to provide a photo of yourself, rough times you were in the store and possibly ID.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/cctv/

Good post  Lumo, I hope the OP pursues this.