Warning To All Sheffield Taxi Users

Has anyone else received an A3 leaflet through the door with the aforementioned title? Professionally printed on glossy paper...

The text reads...

WARNING TO ALL SHEFFIELD TAXI USERS

We support the decision by TfL's licensing officials today in relation to Uber and completely understand why the decision was taken. Keeping customers safe is my absolute number-one priority, and TfL have identified a pattern of failure by Uber that has directly put passengers' safety at risk.

There is undoubtedly a place for innovative companies in the UK. In fact we are home to some of the best in the world but it is essential that companies play by the rules to keep their customers safe.

Only in the last few months it has been established that 4000 Uber journeys have involved fraudulent drivers uploading their photos to other driver accounts  - with passengers' safety potentially put at risk getting into cars with unlicensed and suspended drivers. At this stage TfL can't be confident that Uber has the robust processes in place to prevent another serious breach in the future.

We know thid decision may be unpopular with Uber users but their safety is the paramount concern. Regulations are there to keep customers safe and fully complying with TfL's strict standards is essential if private hire operators want a licence to operate in the UK.

DON'T TAKE THE RISK

Any ideas who has distributed these? How many other people have received them? In the first paragraph, "Keeping customers safe is my absolute number-one priority", who is this person?? 

Just wondered what other people's thoughts were on the leaflet... being warned off using Uber...

It's a copy n paste almost word for word what Saddiq Khan said.

I believe it's 14 thousand trips.

ahh such is progression!(not)

1 hour ago, bungleboy69 said:

fraudulent drivers uploading their photos to other driver accounts 

:huh: What is meant by  "other  driver account"  ?

I have not personally received one but will not give it time of day if I did.    Yeah yeah blah blah.  Wonder how many black cab journeys have fraudulent drivers and rogue undeclared transactions.

Deffo seems like a load of propaganda by some person or organisation with a massive grudge against uber.    

I would take whatever it says with a massive bucket of salt.

Never use Uber personally. I stick with City, never had a problem. 

Presumably it’s someone (individual or group) who stands to financially benefit from tarnishing the reputation of companies like Uber. Traditional taxi drivers maybe? Or disgruntled ex Uber driver? I’d suspect the former.

Also, don’t black cab drivers in Sheffield have a reputation for loaning out their ID’s and cabs to non-licensed drivers in order to keep the cab making money? Does that happen?

16 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Also, don’t black cab drivers in Sheffield have a reputation for loaning out their ID’s and cabs to non-licensed drivers in order to keep the cab making money? Does that happen?

It’s been rumoured since Adam was a lad. Not sure how much, if any, truth there is in it. 

Never had a problem with Uber (anywhere).  London had a massive issue years ago, with what were called "mini cabs",  in other words, normal cars driven by people who were not licensed taxi drivers.

Uber always send you a picture of the driver, along with the car and reg plate.  

That's why TFL has revoked their license in London because people are downloading their photo onto the poober driver app

1 hour ago, Grappler said:

Never had a problem with Uber (anywhere).  London had a massive issue years ago, with what were called "mini cabs",  in other words, normal cars driven by people who were not licensed taxi drivers.

Uber always send you a picture of the driver, along with the car and reg plate.  

I had one of these through the letterbox the other day and I went out and spoke to the guy when he was covering the other side of the road to ask what it was all about - he just shrugged his shoulders and said he was paid to post them.

Edited by iLackBrainCells