E-Bike Recommendations

I'm thinking of investing in an e-bike for my daily commute along Penistone Road and Derek Dooley Way - are there any users on here who could offer advice / opinions as to suitability for an aging / unfit / a-bit-overweight / creaky-knees enthusiast?

48 minutes ago, Crissie said:

I'm thinking of investing in an e-bike for my daily commute along Penistone Road and Derek Dooley Way - are there any users on here who could offer advice / opinions as to suitability for an aging / unfit / a-bit-overweight / creaky-knees enthusiast?

Is that the entire commute, or are there some lumpy bits at the ends?

6 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Is that the entire commute, or are there some lumpy bits at the ends?

That's pretty much it Bargepole, there's a short uphill section at the end, but most of the route's fairly level, and even has dedicated cycle lanes for part of the journey. I'm hopeful that an e-bike will help me get more exercise (I can reduce the level of assistance as I improve) and be a small help towards reducing traffic congestion / emissions, without making me a laughing stock. I'm just trying to do a bit of homework first to see if it's a realistic ambition.

16 hours ago, Crissie said:

That's pretty much it Bargepole, there's a short uphill section at the end, but most of the route's fairly level, and even has dedicated cycle lanes for part of the journey. I'm hopeful that an e-bike will help me get more exercise (I can reduce the level of assistance as I improve) and be a small help towards reducing traffic congestion / emissions, without making me a laughing stock. I'm just trying to do a bit of homework first to see if it's a realistic ambition.

I don't know you, but don't overestimate the difficulty of pedalling unaided along flat roads. Give it a try on a regular bike, potter along and take it steady, you might just surprise yourself.

Hire one from https://www.russellsbicycleshed.co.uk/ for a try out.

Or http://recyclebikes.co.uk used to run a scheme to let you borrow an electric bike for a few weeks, dunno if they still do.

Edited by Bargepole23

Halfords E bikes will cope with that no problem .

Thanks Bargepole and TomMix for your advice - I'll hire both an e-bike and a conventional one, see how I get on with those then make my mind up - I'll let you know what I decide.

3 hours ago, Crissie said:

Thanks Bargepole and TomMix for your advice - I'll hire both an e-bike and a conventional one, see how I get on with those then make my mind up - I'll let you know what I decide.

Good plan. Nowt wrong with whichever you end up with. Good luck and well done for giving it a go 👍👍

If and when you do decide to get an e-bike it is worth considering where you are going to park it as they are hot targets for bike thieves. It is best to remove it from public view altogether and bring it inside a building.

Well done for looking at alternative transport options.

19 hours ago, Hadron said:

If and when you do decide to get an e-bike it is worth considering where you are going to park it as they are hot targets for bike thieves. It is best to remove it from public view altogether and bring it inside a building.

Well done for looking at alternative transport options.

Thanks Hadron, that's good advice, and I've already considered this.  Mainly it will be stored indoors at home, or secure indoor space at work.  However I'm sure I'll then start to go to the shops / pub / etc on it, and that's when security will become an issue.  I guess decent locks aren't much of a barrier to professional thieves so it's important to have an awareness and as you suggest, leave it in a building wherever possible.

Look in a reputable local bike shop. They will offer partial advice and price options. They also tend to have better staff than Halfords who can be a little hit and miss. I would certainly try and afford a 36v battery bike if possible for power and charge, failing that a 24v as minimum. 

5 hours ago, KJT61 said:

Look in a reputable local bike shop. They will offer partial advice and price options. They also tend to have better staff than Halfords who can be a little hit and miss. I would certainly try and afford a 36v battery bike if possible for power and charge, failing that a 24v as minimum. 

Thanks KJT, I spent some time in Halfords the other day and was disappointed by the lack of interest from the staff, so I decided to try some of the local independents as you suggest. I guess higher battery voltage and capacity is right, I can always reduce the assistance level.

Update:

Thanks all, for your advice and encouragement.  I've just taken delivery of a Cube e-bike, which I purchased through the government Cycle to Work scheme so I effectively save the Income Tax and NI Contributions off of the normal retail price.
The bike's great and will be getting used for my daily commute as soon as we can go back.  In the meantime I've got plenty of chance to get used to cycling again, while the roads are quiet.