Landline Down But Internet Still Works.

My landline has a fault and is dead. BT says it is a fault on their side and they will correct it. I can’t understand why my internet is still working.( I’m with BT for this as well ) I’m pleased about this but can’t understand how this can happen.

It is due to the chemistry of the cables. Sulphuretted hydrogen is passed through a liquid until it is thoroughly saturated, the excess of sulphuretted hydrogen is expelled from the solution by a brisk stream of carbon dioxide, and the precipitate is filtered on a Gooch crucible and washed with water containing a little sulphuretted hydrogen and dried at 100° C.; it is then well washed with small quantities of pure carbon disulphide to remove any free sulphur, again dried and weighed. Once that is done your phone should start working.

Phone line requires 2 wires  to work ...one wire is damaged no phone line ...broadband will still work on one wire but at reduced speed ...that’s why 

4 minutes ago, kidneystone said:

It is due to the chemistry of the cables. Sulphuretted hydrogen is passed through a liquid until it is thoroughly saturated, the excess of sulphuretted hydrogen is expelled from the solution by a brisk stream of carbon dioxide, and the precipitate is filtered on a Gooch crucible and washed with water containing a little sulphuretted hydrogen and dried at 100° C.; it is then well washed with small quantities of pure carbon disulphide to remove any free sulphur, again dried and weighed. Once that is done your phone should start working.

Really ??

4 minutes ago, alarmingmark said:

Phone line requires 2 wires  to work ...one wire is damaged no phone line ...broadband will still work on one wire but at reduced speed ...that’s why 

Thank you.

We had that last year,BT need to go to connection box where ever that is in your area,you know the big green boxes?and get damp out of the connection,thats what they said they did for us ,but our problem was that the phone worked but internet didn't.

to put it simply, it won't be an issue with your cable (between house and box on the street) it will be an issue in the box itself..

When your cable gets to the box on the street, it's effectively split into two signals, one for the phone and one for the internet, if the fault is PAST this point, and only on the phone side, then your internet will still work while your phone won't.

:)

24 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

to put it simply, it won't be an issue with your cable (between house and box on the street) it will be an issue in the box itself..

When your cable gets to the box on the street, it's effectively split into two signals, one for the phone and one for the internet, if the fault is PAST this point, and only on the phone side, then your internet will still work while your phone won't.

:)

How interesting this all is. Such clever people on this thread ! Thank you.!

I’ve just picked the receiver up, and it’s working now. Nobody’s been out to repair any landlines so they must have mended it on their side.

You've stated in previous posts that you tend to use a tablet. If your with BT it could be that you might have been connected to BT Fon which allows you to connect to another BT Customers Wifi connection - but that is pure speculation on my part. And whether other BT users are happy to share their BT Fon signal in the first place.

https://bigtechquestion.com/2019/03/22/broadband/what-is-my-bt-fon-login/

Edited by swarfendor437