Car Breakdown Cover

37 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

For several successive car insurers, I've been adding-on the breakdown cover as an optional extra- plus legal expenses insurance and NCB protection. Almost all insurers sub-contract breakdown cover to AA/RAC/Green Flag and, because they bulk-buy, it often works out cheaper than if you buy it direct from those firms. You get the same level of service as if you were a direct member of AA/RAC/Green Flag. The last-mentioned uses Twiggs who always seem to be efficient.

And, yes- there are mostly four or more levels of cover: basic (away from home), or also at home, or inc. onward travel, or inc. cover across the EU.

When I renewed my car insurance a few years ago I was offered breakdown cover with Green Flag as an extra but I had just taken out breakdown cover with them, and I paid more than I was quoted by the car insurers for the same protection. So you are right.

Edited by hauxwell

Has anyone used eversure roadside assistance

On 29/12/2019 at 11:41, swarfendor437 said:

I was looking at Money Supermarket and was surprised to find breakdown cover around £30+ with unlimited callouts - has anyone here taken out such a policy or should you stick to AA/RAC/Green Flag?

Yes I have - and I got the tip from the moneysavingexpert website.  It depends what level of cover you are happy with?  For me I just wanted someone to come out and repair or remove the car to a repairers if it fails on me.  The rest I can sort out myself.  (If I'm near home I've got access to more than one car - if I'm not near home I could use public transport or hire a car if needs be).  

The advantages of these kind of policies is that they are considerably less expensive than the mainstream AA/RAC/Green Flag policies.  I also found that they come out a lot quicker as well - because they are based on local garages all around the country.  So if you breakdown in some remote place,  whichever is the nearest local garage, signed up to the scheme, will come out to you.  

The disadvantages are that you don't get things like "homestart" and they don't take you to your next destination if you breakdown - like some of the big policy companies will do (for a price).  Also, if  you are travelling in the US you can sometimes use your AA membership card to get discounts in some shops/restaurants/hotels - so you'd potentially miss out on that as well.

In my experience, most people will stick to the likes of the AA/RAC and to a lesser extent, Green Flag, because they are more familiar and provide a more comprehensive service.  But you will end up paying considerably more, possibly for things that you don't really need?  

Edited by DerbyTup

I pay £40 a year to maintain my gold level membership with the AA for the members only discounts. Also, my child is a joint holder for free. So which ever car either of us are in, the policy covers that car.  However, my main breakdown cover is with my bank. 

Last time I rang Green Flag they told me the vehicle had to be under 10 years old. Can't understand why,newer vehicles are much more troublesome than the old uns.

I have joint cover with my partner with the AA which covers all our vehicles. I had to do quite a bit of research as many providers do not cover older cars or motorbikes, and ours range in age from 13 to 28 years old. 

Make sure you read the small print and get the cover you need. 

On 10/01/2020 at 16:59, ivan edake said:

Last time I rang Green Flag they told me the vehicle had to be under 10 years old. Can't understand why,newer vehicles are much more troublesome than the old uns.

I have been driving since 1983 and find the newer vehicles much more reliable for longer. Granted anyone used to be able to repair cars back in the day but most stuff is all linked to the cars software now.