Car Breakdown Cover

I was looking at Money Supermarket and was surprised to find breakdown cover around £30+ with unlimited callouts - has anyone here taken out such a policy or should you stick to AA/RAC/Green Flag?

I had a good look round before I went with Green Flag, it was £60 and a few pence I think, equivalent with RAC or AA was double the price for same cover.

Just been looking again and AXA insurance offering unlimited callouts for £30.25 and no excess!

They have a 'defaqto' rating of 5 stars - but how reliable is 'defaqto'?

Green Flag limit callouts to 5 a year, ranging from cheapest at £28.49 (£40 excess) to its most expensive at £93.97!

Edited by swarfendor437
additional info

How far will they tow you if you and your vehicle need moving? Some will only do 10 miles.

Some won't do home starts either.

When you go to money supermarket the form you fill in asks you for what you want cover for, National (cf European), car (cf. individual), home start, misfuelling and it brings back all the quotes. Home Start is covered within 1 mile and cover also includes forward travel.

I've gone with AA for my motor insurance and they give me full break down /recovery cover for £40 which is needed due to my wifes severe disablement,can't fault them just now

What the comparison sites don’t take into account is what happens road-side, I was told. 
Getting you towed home or to a garage is fine (for you then to shell out some more money).

Getting the problem fixed roadside (I.e. not just towing you somewhere) and being actively monitored by your company against such KPI’s is what marks out the best roadside assistance companies  from the also-rans. 
As with everything else, you get what you pay for. 

1 hour ago, DT Ralge said:

What the comparison sites don’t take into account is what happens road-side, I was told. 
Getting you towed home or to a garage is fine (for you then to shell out some more money).

Getting the problem fixed roadside (I.e. not just towing you somewhere) and being actively monitored by your company against such KPI’s is what marks out the best roadside assistance companies  from the also-rans. 
As with everything else, you get what you pay for. 

That was my train of thought also - hence the posting. 😉

AXA use RAC as do some others. Tested several times and with several take my to the garage of my choice when my oil pump then engine failed :D

Been with greenflag for a few years now but only needed them once and they were faultless.

My car has cover provided by the manufacturer,and this turned out to be RAC, again no issues with them when i needed them in darkest Cornwall.

For several successive car insurers, I've been adding-on the breakdown cover as an optional extra- plus legal expenses insurance and NCB protection. Almost all insurers sub-contract breakdown cover to AA/RAC/Green Flag and, because they bulk-buy, it often works out cheaper than if you buy it direct from those firms. You get the same level of service as if you were a direct member of AA/RAC/Green Flag. The last-mentioned uses Twiggs who always seem to be efficient.

And, yes- there are mostly four or more levels of cover: basic (away from home), or also at home, or inc. onward travel, or inc. cover across the EU.