The Costa Del Sol Pool Tragedy.

Pumps can be very dangerous. They can pull a child to the bottom of pool. They have been known to suck intestines out of young children in the toddler pool. People who can swim have been sucked to the bottom of pools and drowned. 

1 hour ago, Fiat500 said:

Pumps can be very dangerous. They can pull a child to the bottom of pool. They have been known to suck intestines out of young children in the toddler pool. People who can swim have been sucked to the bottom of pools and drowned. 

Wow, I didn't believe the intestines story but it's true. A quick google search shows it's happened several times.

I cannot understand why there was no lifeguard on duty at the pool. I would have thought that, that was an absolute priority.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

I cannot understand why there was no lifeguard on duty at the pool. I would have thought that, that was an absolute priority.

Quite often there are not lifeguards.  I think there were about twenty pools on the complex. We have an apartment in a complex with several pools, only one has a lifeguard on duty.

6 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

Quite often there are not lifeguards.  I think there were about twenty pools on the complex. We have an apartment in a complex with several pools, only one has a lifeguard on duty.

Twenty pools ? Didn’t know that ! 

12 hours ago, Fiat500 said:

I didn’t realise pumps can be that dangerous.  I was waiting for a poster to rule out my theory.  

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

Twenty pools ? Didn’t know that ! 

It might be dodgy reporting. You know how things can change from one report to another. There must be several. 

21 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I didn’t realise pumps can be that dangerous.  I was waiting for a poster to rule out my theory.  

I was always told not to go to the bottom of the deep end (3m/9ft) in Rotherham due to strong pumps. 

Babies having small bottoms and cause a seal on a pump outlet from the pool if the safety cover is missing and the child has a bare bottom instead of swimming trunks / costume on. 

On 29/12/2019 at 11:24, Chez2 said:

I was always told not to go to the bottom of the deep end (3m/9ft) in Rotherham due to strong pumps. 

I can believe that pools in some countries abroad may possibly have inadequate  safety standards/regulations on things such as pumps. I cannot imagine that being the case in the UK though.

I suppose some people travelling abroad assume the standards abroad will be the same as the UK.  

I once read a news article about a girl  getting her long hair  tangled in a pool pump. I cannot remember where this was.

Edited by Janus

13 hours ago, Janus said:

I can believe that pools in some countries abroad may possibly have inadequate  safety standards/regulations on things such as pumps. I cannot imagine that being the case in the UK though.

I suppose some people travelling abroad assume the standards abroad will be the same as the UK.  

I once read a news article about a girl  getting her long hair  tangled in a pool pump. I cannot remember where this was.

I was a child, it was back in the 1970s.  Safety standards were not as stringent back then. The pool had the old fashioned changing cubicles around the edge of the pool in addition to the usual changing rooms. It has long been demolished. I think it was originally a traditional bath rather than a swimming pool but I could be wrong. 

The pool had really large grates in the floor of the deep end under the diving boards. I was a proficient swimmer and learner diver. It wouldn't take much force to pull four or five stone child to the bottom of the pool if they were already swimming on the bottom. The warning was enough to keep me from testing it anyway. 

28 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

It wouldn't take much force to pull four or five stone child to the bottom

When you think about the reality of that, it is potentially  horrendous. I'm thankful we have the regulations in place now.

1 hour ago, Janus said:

When you think about the reality of that, it is potentially  horrendous. I'm thankful we have the regulations in place now.

I was scared enough never to test the advice. The pool was deep under the diving boards. The grates were right at the edge on the bottom of the pool.

I can understand the wife of the man killed with his children wanting a further enquiry with the British police, as the story given out by the hotel stinks ! They wouldn’t have known the true cause of death until a full post mortem has been carried out.

Edited by pattricia