The Costa Del Sol Pool Tragedy.

I still cannot work out what happened here. 3 swimmers all drowning in a swimming pool. Is that likely, or could there be  something more sinister? It is quite unusual.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50929536

23 minutes ago, Janus said:

I still cannot work out what happened here. 3 swimmers all drowning in a swimming pool. Is that likely, or could there be  something more sinister? It is quite unusual.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50929536

Me as well.  When I first heard the story I thought they must have all been in the sea? 

For 3 people to die in a swimming pool when apparently all 3 could swim is strange?

My Grandad ran the Yeovil Swimming baths during the war and up to his retirement in 1966.He always reminded us that a warm body jumping into cold water can put you in shock,I'm wondering if thats what happened here,ie exited people jumping into a pool that wasn't heated? 

An interesting  point Chaddamp. 

Assuming the sun was out in the resort, would there possibly have been such a significant difference between water temp and body temp there? I am just thinking about people in the UK jumping in to the sea at the temp it is.

There could and probably was a significant temperature difference unless the pool was heated which I doubt. A few years ago it took me 5 minutes to fully immerse in the hotel pool in Sorrento, Italy. This was a the height of summer too. No I wasn't being a woos either, it was really cold water. Shock could have been an issue with the tragic event in Spain.

Very Suspicous all this.  :suspect:

According to the papers this morning, they were all non-swimmers.  Dad and older son jumped in to save daughter who was in trouble.   If that's the case,  why on earth was she swimming on her own.  Heartbreaking. 

Edit. According to the BBC, apparently the mother insists they could swim. It was another of her children who had told the authorities that they could not! 

Edited by feargal

I originally heard they couldn't swim then heard they could swim. At first it said evening then mid day. 

Could there have been an overdose of chlorine or chlorine mixed with other chemicals so at pool level there was a layer of chlorine gas?  I presume there will be post mortems? 

So tragic. I can't begin to comprehend what the remaining family must feel like. 

Seems strange that the hotel says they were non swimmers yet the mans wife said they could all swim.

I read that the nine year old girl had been in the pool with her elder sister who had got out of the pool leaving the younger girl in the pool. 

Did the family have the pool to themselves?

Edited by nikki-red

5 minutes ago, cressida said:

I read that the nine year old girl had been in the pool with her elder sister who had got out of the pool leaving the younger girl in the pool. 

Did the family have the pool to themselves?

The mother is going to have her own private enquiry about the event. Don’t blame her as the story is very suspicious.

I’m sure I read that they were being pulled into the middle of the pool.  Long time since I have been in a swimming pool but I can remember suction pumps to remove bacteria.  Could these pumps be faulty, causing them to be pulled under the water.   

There doesn’t seem to be many witnesses so I presume they were the only ones using the pool at the time.