Sunflower Lanyard-Hidden Disabilities

How many people are aware of the "SUNFLOWER LANYARD" its a scheme for people with hidden disabilities like autism 

The Hidden Disabilities Sunflower was first launched at Gatwick Airport in May 2016. It is starting to be recognised globally and has been adopted in the UK by all of the major airports, many supermarkets, railway stations, leisure facilities, in the NHS and an increasing number of small and large businesses and organisations. Basically, it is used anywhere where people meet. 

Sunflower_lanyard.jpg

3 hours ago, craigmason said:

How many people are aware of the "SUNFLOWER LANYARD" its a scheme for people with hidden disabilities like autism 

I work with special needs people, I have never heard of this, sounds like fake news to me.

We should treat everyone the same, do they need a special lanyard?

Most certainly not 'fake news'.

It is a scheme that makes 'hidden disabilities' visible and enables others to react or respond in a helpful manner.

It is for those adults who find situations like travel, work, appointments, social situations etc. potentially difficult and/or stressful. 

What are "...special needs people..."?

Do "...they..." not have individual needs?

Should we "... treat everyone the same...", without regard to their  situation ?

9 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Most certainly not 'fake news'.

What are "...special needs people..."?

Do "...they..." not have individual needs?

Should we "... treat everyone the same...", without regard to their  situation ?

My girlfriend has a son on the autistic spectrum, he would not be seen with one of those lanyards around his neck because he often functions normally and would like other people to view him as "normal".

The special needs adults that I deal with in my workplace do not wear such a lanyard, so the scheme is poorly received.

Special needs people have a very large range of behaviours, too large to explain here or on a lanyard.

As you had never heard of this scheme until today, I cannot understand how you can pass such profound judgements on it.

We have never used this system, but there are a wide range of similar systems.

In Sheffield the train companies have a card system which enables users to present themselves to staff explaining their difficulty.

In London two of the largest hotel chains employ staff who do use the Sunflower Lanyard.

One drawback of the system is that it could 'identify' vulnerable people to exploiters and to some it will be an invasion of privacy. It does have that 'wiff' of patronage. That said for some it will enable a less stressful journey to work, social situation, workplace interaction etc.

No two people are the same, no two sets of  needs are the same. It does work for some.

29 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

No two people are the same, no two sets of  needs are the same.

People do not need a lanyard to tell them that.

i wear one so that if i am struggling when out and about people will hopefully be a bit supportive found this that explains the scheme 

Support while you're out and about with the sunflower lanyard

Post date: 

Thursday, 21 November 2019

If you have a disability that may not be immediately obvious but would appreciate support from staff in UK airports, certain railways, supermarkets, retail stores, visitor attractions or hospitals, then you may be interested to know there is a lanyard you can wear to signal this. If you have a disability that may not be immediately obvious but would appreciate support from staff in UK airports, certain railways, supermarkets, retail stores, visitor attractions or hospitals, then you may be interested to know there is a lanyard you can wear to signal this. 

staff assisting with reading a departure board or sign.

Railways

The lanyard scheme is gradually being adopted by railways. It is now being used by LNER, which operates the London North Eastern routes, and c2c, which serves 26 stations in East London and South Essex.

Supermarkets and retail stores

In September this year, M&S become the first UK retailer to introduce sunflower lanyards into all of its stores. Sainsbury's ran a trial of the lanyards early this year in selected branches, and in October, both Sainsbury’s and Argos announced the nationwide rollout of sunflower lanyards in all their stores. Tesco is running a trial in 15 of its Hertfordshire stores.

Vangarde Shopping Park in York and intu Trafford Centre in Manchester are two shopping centres that recognise the scheme.

Visitor attractions and leisure providers

Eureka!, a children's museum in Yorkshire, joined the lanyard scheme in August 2019. If you're planning a visit to Eureka!, they have lots of information on accessible visits on their website.

The Royal International Air Tattoo, which stages air shows in Gloucestershire for aircraft enthusiasts, is another attraction currently trialling the lanyard.

The famous Ascot Racecourse in Berkshire and Forest Holidays, a UK holiday provider, have introduced the lanyard scheme.

According to Lincolnshire County Council, seven local heritage attractions have adopted the lanyard.

Hospitals

A number of NHS Trusts including Guy's and St Thomas' hospital in London, and Great Western Hospital in Swindon have adopted the lanyard scheme.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

People do not need a lanyard to tell them that.

Tell who what?

5 hours ago, craigmason said:

The famous Ascot Racecourse in Berkshire and Forest Holidays, a UK holiday provider, have introduced the lanyard scheme.

According to Lincolnshire County Council, seven local heritage attractions have adopted the lanyard.

Hospitals

A number of NHS Trusts including Guy's and St Thomas' hospital in London, and Great Western Hospital in Swindon have adopted the lanyard scheme.

I visited a 92 year old relative of mine today, he had one of those lanyards on his rear door keys. He does not have any disabilities and does not use the lanyard.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

I visited a 92 year old relative of mine today, he had one of those lanyards on his rear door keys. He does not have any disabilities and does not use the lanyard.

It is likely that your relative was given the lanyard for a very good reason. 

The lanyard can be used by a person or carer who feels that things would be easier by showing it in appropriate situations.

Your relative does not have to prove entitlement and is free to do with it what they want.

Well, I think it's a great idea.  I think it's good that staff working with the public can identify someone who may need extra help.  It's pretty crap having to ask for help and feeling that you have to explain why you need it.  This affords people a little more privacy/dignity in my opinion.

I seem to remember on a TV programme one of the airports had something like this. A mother who had a young autistic son who couldn't cope with the hustle and bustle was given a lanyard to wear by the airport that helped identify them for extra help getting through queues etc.