Large Rats In Neighbours Garden

12 hours ago, master jedi said:

Sadly i dont , i will try and find out who the local councilor is for her area . In what way are they lax in their duty tinfoilhat ? are they suposed to deal with problem ? i remember them saying there was nothing they could do it the gentleman wont engage with them , was this just an excuse ?

Way, way, way back in the late 90s there was a programme on bbc 1 called Paddington green., narrated by Ross Kemp. It told of the real life stories of some of it inhabitants - a wig maker, a locksmith and a transsexual hooker (I’m not making this up, it will be on youtube). One of the people on the show was a polish war veteran who had 50 years of crap stuffed in house and garden and it was a health hazard. It, after a period of time (and maybe a court case brought by the council) was cleared up and dealt with by the council as it was a health hazard. Your posts indicate your mother in laws health is being impacted by this old gent. If you can get this in writing from her doctor, give it to the council and, via your local councillor if necessary and/or your solicitor, and tell environmental health to do their <removed> job. It’s literally an environmental health hazard.

Edited by nikki-red

We get to see the odd rat every winter in our garden ,they live in the posh house garden through the fence under their hut , our terrier loves the situation waiting in her hiding spot till one pops out for a feed  under our bird table , two shakes and they are gone .

I saw a rat in my back yard a few weeks ago, a little untidy and a compost heap, but all concrete. It wasnt a big deal, but I would not want a nest of them.

I have been spraying vinegar around the area, not seen is since.

http://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/mgFindMember.aspx 

You can find out who your local Councillor is on this site. They can add weight to your complaint. 

email - EnvironmentalServicesAdmin@sheffield.gov.uk

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/public-health/pollution/Environment R Enforcement Policy 2014.pdf

Rats are supposed to be nocturnal but it is becoming more normal to see them any time now. We used to call out environmental health as we have had problems over the years due to both privately owned and rented out houses nearby. Now it is just not affordable for us seeing as they charge so much for limited visits  - 3 I think. We bait our own rat boxes all year round. and that way we know when they are more active than normal.  

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/public-health/pest-control

charges for calling then out 

Edited by gene
more info

Such a shame and she's lived there all that time.  He ought to get a warning and court proceedings if he doesn't follow orders to tidy up his property.  He will continue to be stubborn though even if this happens, I'm so sorry this is happening, this is the world today though, people just don't care anymore.  I'm sick of litter and fly tipping all over the place, it's so unnecessary.  

Thank you for your replys of help everybody , it is much appreciated.

I have bought some rat poison today and we shall seen what happens in a few weeks after i set the bait .

I have also heard that bleach is very good as the rats dont like it.

We shall also be contacting the police as the neighbours pile of wood rubbish is pushing over my mother in laws privit and this needs to stop before the weight of them completely pushes over her hedge.

We have also drafted up some leaflets to let all of her other neighbours know about this problem and have asked if they also contact enviromental heath and there local councelor regarding this.

We have been told that a couple of cats that live in the area have had bite marks on them . Is it possible that Rats will attack cats ?  

16 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Way, way, way back in the late 90s there was a programme on bbc 1 called Paddington green., narrated by Ross Kemp. It told of the real life stories of some of it inhabitants - a wig maker, a locksmith and a transsexual hooker (I’m not making this up, it will be on youtube). One of the people on the show was a polish war veteran who had 50 years of crap stuffed in house and garden and it was a health hazard. It, after a period of time (and maybe a court case brought by the council) was cleared up and dealt with by the council as it was a health hazard. Your posts indicate your mother in laws health is being impacted by this old gent. If you can get this in writing from her doctor, give it to the council and, via your local councillor if necessary and/or your solicitor, and tell environmental health to do their <removed> job. It’s literally an environmental health hazard.

I think the Polish war veteran was called Mr Trebus. 

After all these years I still use his name to describe anyone with very cluttered/ untidy homes and gardens.

40 minutes ago, Hair island said:

I think the Polish war veteran was called Mr Trebus. 

After all these years I still use his name to describe anyone with very cluttered/ untidy homes and gardens.

Off topic I know but Mr Trebus was featured in the show ‘A Life of Grime’.

17 hours ago, master jedi said:

Is it possible that Rats will attack cats ?  

If cornered Rats will attack pretty much anything