Large Rats In Neighbours Garden

My mother in law who is 80 with breathing and heart problems has a next door neighbour whos garden has a rat infestation. I called around today and could not belive what i saw. About 6 or so large rats running around in her garden.

Her garden and house is clean and tidy wheas her next door neighbours garden and house  is very unkept and filthfy . The gentleman who lives alone there is an elderly gentleman who does not like people complaining about his unkept garden or house. He is a private house owner just like my mother in law , we have tried talking to him over the years offering our help to help him keep his garden clean , but he refuses to even talk to us now. 

He puts out lots of food on the floor for pigons and squrrils and this has now attracted rats. He cuts down his privit and trees and stock piles the wood right up to my mother in laws boundy . He has created a perfect home for the rats in his back garden. I called around to ask him if he would remove the stock pile and he said no it's his garden and he can do as he likes . 

I have noticed today after putting away pots and pans in my mother in laws house large rat droppings in her home. As i say we have tried to talk with him politely but he is just one of those people who does not want to engage with other people. My mother in law is now terrified and her health is suffering again because of him.

She was diagnosed with a breathing problems related to pigeon  poo that she has breathed in acording to her GP and hospital professionals.      

Is there anything we can do to stop this gentleman from carrying on like this ? any advice would be appreciated. 

I would say environmental health would be the best place to start.

As the neighbour is elderly as well then maybe adult social services,

you could also try putting traps/poison down in your mothers garden

Tell her to sell up and move.

It really isnt worth all the hassle.

55 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

I would say environmental health would be the best place to start.

As the neighbour is elderly as well then maybe adult social services,

you could also try putting traps/poison down in your mothers garden

They have been to see him but he refuses to engage with them. Traps and poison maybe the way forward , i have a freind who owns a pellet gun , would he be allowed to shoot them ? 

46 minutes ago, BobOfRoth said:

Tell her to sell up and move.

It really isnt worth all the hassle.

She dosent want to , she wants to live in her home as she has for a good 50 years hassle free.  Is there no legal way we could sort this problem out ?

4 minutes ago, master jedi said:

They have been to see him but he refuses to engage with them. Traps and poison maybe the way forward , i have a freind who owns a pellet gun , would he be allowed to shoot them ? 

She dosent want to , she wants to live in her home as she has for a good 50 years hassle free.  Is there no legal way we could sort this problem out ?

I really do feel for the poor love but at her age she really is onto a loser. Even if something is done itll take a good long while and then there will be all the animosity her neighbour will probably feel towards her.

If she really wants to stay put then I can maybe loan you an air rifle and someone can control the vermin for her. Let me know and Ill go dig it out and if its in good working order (not used it in an age) ill loan it you for a little while. Ive probably got some hollow point pellets too which in my view are the best for rats.

Her neighbour has not talked with her and us for 3 years now since we asked enviromental health to have a word with him after we exhausted all our avenues of comunication with him. My freind has a pellet gun and has already offered his rat culling services if needed but thank you for the offer. I just need to make sure what we can do is legal as the last thing i want is to be reported by him to the police even though it is him that is causing all the problems.  

17 minutes ago, master jedi said:

They have been to see him but he refuses to engage with them. 

Well that’s alright then, let him just carry on as normal. <sarcasm off>

For starters, have you got a record of your conversations with the council? Great if you have, not the end of the world if you haven’t but I’d take it to your local councillor and tell them in the strongest terms that council have been well and truly lax in their duty. Councillors still have a bit of clout.

Sadly i dont , i will try and find out who the local councilor is for her area . In what way are they lax in their duty tinfoilhat ? are they suposed to deal with problem ? i remember them saying there was nothing they could do it the gentleman wont engage with them , was this just an excuse ?

Does your mother in law own the property or renting?  The man next door sounds like a stubborn one and will probably stick to his guns.  Environmental health should have authority to get this man to sort his garden out as its clearly a health hazard especially if rats are getting into your mum in laws home, the urine for one is awful stuff to breathe in.  We had rats under our floorboards this year and had council out to sort it.  Maybe if you get them in for her house and they can put stuff in her garden which might attract them if there's another food source but of course this will be bait. 

She owns the property and has lived there for over 50 years hassle free. He has been very stubborn , ignorant and selfish since we asked if he could tidy up his garden , i offered to do this myself for him but he prefers a natural looking wild garden , problem is it is the food he throws around for the pigeons and squirils that is a real problem along with all of his privit and tree cutting that he has just thrown up against my mother in laws property from his side , he does not care what problems he is causing in his back garden. 

2 hours ago, master jedi said:

I just need to make sure what we can do is legal as the last thing i want is to be reported by him to the police even though it is him that is causing all the problems.  

As long as the only rats you kill are in her property and no pellets leave the property boundaries then you're fine legally.

2 hours ago, master jedi said:

Sadly i dont , i will try and find out who the local councilor is for her area . In what way are they lax in their duty tinfoilhat ? are they suposed to deal with problem ? i remember them saying there was nothing they could do it the gentleman wont engage with them , was this just an excuse ?

Environmental Health have a duty to assess the problem, if you report it.

They also have legal powers to instruct the neighbour to alleviate the problem. For example, they can legally require the removal of food sources that are encouraging the vermin.

You should ask them to do their job more effectively