Tickly Cough / Being In The Car (Odd Question)

30 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

You can get dust mites which don't smell. When the heater is on it could be circulating something in the pipes which bothers you.  I'm sensitive to some types of pollen but not all. I'm sensitive to some perfumes / aftershaves, they make my nose block up and make me feel like I have cold. If I move away from the person wearing the particular perfume or aftershave I go back to normal within a few minutes. You seem to have worked out its connected to the car heater.

bold: I think this last couple of weeks seems to have enough correlations to suspect this, and last couple of days has convinced me 99%, hence booked in for change of filters tomorrow.

I've been taxi driving for nearly 20 years at approx 100 jobs per week, so I'm used to unpleasant perfumes/people/ etc.

Eugh, some people get in, especially females, and they must have bathed in perfume! And they smell horrible (though probably hoping their choice was to make them smell nice!) :hihi:

29 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Take a (non drowsy) antihistamine before your next shift. If it's dust this might help.

I've ruled out dust. In fact I never considered it, as my taxi is always clean.

You feeling better now by the way? :hihi:  Must have been a good night.

5 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

bold: I think this last couple of weeks seems to have enough correlations to suspect this, and last couple of days has convinced me 99%, hence booked in for change of filters tomorrow.

I've been taxi driving for nearly 20 years at approx 100 jobs per week, so I'm used to unpleasant perfumes/people/ etc.

Eugh, some people get in, especially females, and they must have bathed in perfume! And they smell horrible (though probably hoping their choice was to make them smell nice!) :hihi:

I've ruled out dust. In fact I never considered it, as my taxi is always clean.

You feeling better now by the way? :hihi:  Must have been a good night.

Aye, it wasn’t a bad one ;)

Even if it isn’t dust it could help with any other allergens that may or may not be present. If it’s not dust (or pollen or any other allergen) or a chemical thing (as your mate said, you’d smell it) is it possible it’s psychological?

32 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Aye, it wasn’t a bad one ;)

32 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Even if it isn’t dust it could help with any other allergens that may or may not be present. If it’s not dust (or pollen or any other allergen) or a chemical thing (as your mate said, you’d smell it) is it possible it’s psychological?

Good stuff :)

-

bold: :hihi:

Well, don't beat around the bush tin! :hihi:

As it happens, I have already thought this and after last 2 days completely dismissed it.  There's no way I could even fake the timings. I'd rule it out, because there is no way I could fake it to the timings. I can drive for at least an hour, and feel fine. (unless I've become allergic to work!)

It's in the OP when I originally correlated being calm and not coughing. But I have no reason to feel anxious in the taxi. If I plotted a graph of the number of hours I've worked over the last couple of weeks, then it's basically a downward spiral (though a couple of nice days meant no use of the vent/heat system).

15 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Good stuff :)

-

bold: :hihi:

Well, don't beat around the bush tin! :hihi:

As it happens, I have already thought this and after last 2 days completely dismissed it.  There's no way I could even fake the timings. I'd rule it out, because there is no way I could fake it to the timings. I can drive for at least an hour, and feel fine. (unless I've become allergic to work!)

It's in the OP when I originally correlated being calm and not coughing. But I have no reason to feel anxious in the taxi. If I plotted a graph of the number of hours I've worked over the last couple of weeks, then it's basically a downward spiral (though a couple of nice days meant no use of the vent/heat system).

As toyah Wilcox once said, it's a mystery. 

If it’s down to the screen heater, you could try some cat-litter (sílica gel type is more absorbing I think). Put some in an old pair of tights, then place along dash close to windscreen.

It will dry air, but may reduce how much you need to use your screen heater. So if the issue is particles coming through heating system, it may help.

May or may not be worth trying, but thought I’d suggest it just in case. Hope you find some solution though and can return to work without it adversity affecting your health.

Edited by Waldo

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

As toyah Wilcox once said, it's a mystery. 

Great example! Must be sending messages through psychological coughs! 

I picked her up once at the Lyceum years ago. She broke her ankle on stage, and I took her to the hospital! She was a right laugh too, considering how much pain she was obviously in!

-

54 minutes ago, Waldo said:

If it’s down to the screen heater, you could try some cat-litter (sílica gel type is more absorbing I think). Put some in an old pair of tights, then place along dash close to windscreen.

It will dry air, but may reduce how much you need to use your screen heater. So if the issue is particles coming through heating system, it may help.

May or may not be worth trying, but thought I’d suggest it just in case. Hope you find some solution though and can return to work without it adversity affecting your health.

cat litter on the dash!

I expect more from my modern British car (built in Rüsselsheim)

Edited by *_ash_*

You would not necessarily smell anything; not all chemicals have odour or at certain concentrations you can't detect them, including at higher concentrations. The examples I'm thinking of off the top of my head don't apply so I won't confuse the issue. 

Dust mites and dust mite faeces are everywhere, you can't eradicate them.

I know someone who couldn't visit houses with certain animals as his wife was so allergic she would react when he got home with minute traces of the animal on him. 

Someone doesn't have to wear a perfume strong for you to react.  

5 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Great example! Must be sending messages through psychological coughs! 

I picked her up once at the Lyceum years ago. She broke her ankle on stage, and I took her to the hospital! She was a right laugh too, considering how much pain she was obviously in!

You must be taking the Michael surely ;);););) Is it because of psychological thing because it was meant with nothing but good tidings :)

But is it the same car that you took toyah to A&E with? Are you allergic to ginger hair dye?

My tip when driving alone in cold weather, firstly when setting off turn heater on full till car gets warm/hot then turn heater down to first notch then open passenger window down slightly to let some air in.   Its not good for the engine to turn heater off completly especially on long journeys, :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

You must be taking the Michael surely ;);););) Is it because of psychological thing because it was meant with nothing but good tidings :)

But is it the same car that you took toyah to A&E with? Are you allergic to ginger hair dye?

No, that was years ago.

39 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

My tip when driving alone in cold weather, firstly when setting off turn heater on full till car gets warm/hot then turn heater down to first notch then open passenger window down slightly to let some air in.   Its not good for the engine to turn heater off completly especially on long journeys, :thumbsup:

Temperature control during both hot and cold weather is always tricky, as I'm not alone. People get in, and out all day.

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

No, that was years ago.

Temperature control during both hot and cold weather is always tricky, as I'm not alone. People get in, and out all day.

Very true. :thumbsup:

Well changed the pollen filter (which didn't look bad), and driven 7 hours today no coughing.

Goodness knows what in it, but that was most unpleasant cough I can ever recall.

:)

On 25/12/2019 at 21:04, Dardandec said:

Pollen filter clogged and blowing diesel particulates into the vehicle (Unlikely, but a possibility)