Gps Receptionists To Decide Whether You Are Ill Enough To See The Doctor.

It happens all the time up and down the country, can any one remember the case with the little girl who was turned away twice when the receptionist told her to give her paracetamol,  she finished up at the A & E on deaths door.

It was on the BBC news and in the newspapers which then led to a big discussion  on whether it was wise for receptionists  to make the judgment. 

Even when the doctor says he wants to see you again the following week the receptionists over rule  the doctors and tell you no chance , you'll  have to wait two to three weeks. Some of the receptionists do deserve their nicknames.

3 hours ago, pattricia said:

My docs also put the number of missed appointments up on a notice board. We do not have the advanced  nurse practitioner, but think this is an excellent idea, as she could pass any urgent cases onto the GP. She will certainly have more medical knowledge than the receptionist.

Our doctors do this as well but it doesn't  seem to have any effect,the numbers keep rising, it doesn't  prompt  any shame or conscience. 

Something should be done about the broken appointments , if they suggest a find it wouldn't  get paid.

The difficulty in getting an appointment to see a GP really is disgusting. Having to jump through hoops to even get to [speak to a health care professional on the phone means that many people just give up and don't see anyone which can have serious implications OR they pitch up at A&E.

You can't blame people for seeking help from anywhere when they are desperate for help and advice.

As has already been said - it's not a new concept provides a very poor service imo.

Pattricia - don't believe everything you read in the Daily Fail .

Edited by Daven

Guest makapaka
On 25/12/2019 at 18:29, pattricia said:

The Daily Mail

Id never have guessed.

I log in online to my doctors surgery  8:30 in morning and can choose a doctor or nurse (not always that day). I don't phone to receptionist, too many questions. I must admit when I have done I can get recommended a phone call back from a doctor, can save on a visit.

14 hours ago, Fiat500 said:

I log in online to my doctors surgery  8:30 in morning and can choose a doctor or nurse (not always that day). I don't phone to receptionist, too many questions. I must admit when I have done I can get recommended a phone call back from a doctor, can save on a visit.

You are very lucky to have such a good GPs practise.

I order my medication(statin and beta blocker) on line via Patient access and collect after 3 days from the dispensary in the surgery.

I can use the dispensary as I live more than 2 miles away.

I went to collect the meds only to be told that I was only getting 2 weeks supply and not the usual 4 weeks as I hadn't arranged a review

I said no one had told me a review was needed.

It's on the prescription form that's clipped to you meds packet,

But I don't need that form as I order meds on line .so I shred it

Ah that's the failing with that system.

SO, I spend up to half an hour on the phone trying to get a review appointment.

I don't see a doc but a pharmacist mails  me to get a blood test and submit a urine sample

More time on the phone to get a blood take appointment.

Start phoning at 7 55am, lines open at 8 00am, get thro'  and a robot tells me I am 23 in the queue.

S*d it I can't be bothered because after 5 minutes I am 21 in the queue

As this blood appointment is  after my 2  weeks supply of meds runs out I have to visit the dispensary to get my  remaining meds approved by a doctor , it's approved as I am jumping thro' hoops to get a review.

Complain to the lady in the dispensary that I'm being forced to get a review without knowing I was due for one.

That's the whole point she said.

I certainly need my blood pressure tablets now!!!

This system requires hanging on the phone. visits to the surgery and wastes my time

I still have'nt got the results of my review and I am severely peed off

@davyboy

I have this problem now and then, but the online system my G.P uses allows for custom med requests,  I use that to order any med that have been held up by the review process, as you can order and leave a reason for the G.P to see when they view the request.

maybe worth checking if you have that facility, if you order online.

On 25/12/2019 at 23:28, El Cid said:

Just the same as at A+E

Except A&E triage is worlds away from what's being suggested. 

In A&E Triage is by a QUALIFIED nurse, someone who has undertaken years of training, sat many exams to a predefined standard & continues to receive ongoing training in relation to their current role.

"Janet", the glorified secretary hasn't.

If you were offered a pay cut of 6% to not do evening and weekend work, would you take it? Most GP's did back in 2004, which is why it takes so long to see one today. The GP system is broken.

and that's what 111 is for... 

if you get no joy/help from your GP, and you feel it's something more than a cough/the flu or whatever, call 111, talk to a REAL professional, and if they think you need seeing, they will arrange it...

5 hours ago, Resident said:

Except A&E triage is worlds away from what's being suggested. 

In A&E Triage is by a QUALIFIED nurse, someone who has undertaken years of training, sat many exams to a predefined standard & continues to receive ongoing training in relation to their current role.

"Janet", the glorified secretary hasn't.

The requirements of the two roles are entirely different, but don't let that get in the way of your misonogist rant.

5 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

The requirements of the two roles are entirely different, but don't let that get in the way of your misonogist rant.

Firstly, where was I being misonogist? 

I invite you to go check the definition and try again unless you prefer to continue showing yourself up. 

The crux is that you will be having medically unqualified personnel making medical decisions. 

Doctors and nurses train for years & are required to pass qualifications to make those medical decisions.

Will receptionists be required to join the NMC, like qualified doctors and nurses, will they be required to sit years worth of training and gain recognised medical qualifications? 

I very much doubt that & as such will not speak to a receptionist regarding my medical well-being. This has nothing to do with them being either gender.