North Moor, Grenoside

I am trying to find a house called North Moor in Grenoside. My great great uncle, Brook Hollingworth of Hollingworth and Bedford Builders Sheffield, built the house for his retirement hoping it would improve his health but died shortly afterwards in 1913 at the age of 56.  The address given in an article about his death in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph is North Moor, Long Lane, Grenoside.   I understand from Sheffield Council that the old Long Lane turnpike road is now Main Street.  His wife, Emma Hollingworth, lived there until her death in 1930. His niece, Elinor Bedford lived there until she died in 1949.  Does anyone remember this family or know the whereabouts of the house called North Moor in Grenoside.   Many thanks.

Edited by nikki-red

It is this stone semi-detached about number 55/57 Main Street, and next along from Myrtle Villas (59/61 which has a stone plaque on the front).  Unfortunately the name carved on the front of North Moor is unreadable by Google street view.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4392961,-1.5008409,3a,75y,251.98h,93.52t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sm9MAOtOkMGIygp4gGIYXRw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dm9MAOtOkMGIygp4gGIYXRw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D56.404907%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Elinor and Ida Bedford lived at 57 Main Street in the 1946 Electoral register.

6 hours ago, TedW said:

It is this stone semi-detached about number 55/57 Main Street, and next along from Myrtle Villas (59/61 which has a stone plaque on the front).  Unfortunately the name carved on the front of North Moor is unreadable by Google street view.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4392961,-1.5008409,3a,75y,251.98h,93.52t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sm9MAOtOkMGIygp4gGIYXRw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dm9MAOtOkMGIygp4gGIYXRw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D56.404907%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

I saw this thread the other day and click on follow, as I wanted to see the response. Glad I did, as this is interesting.

The first thing I notice as that this and neighbouring one (Myrtle) look similar builds, and the OP says her relative built one of them.

Do you know which was built first? (i.e. did the relative buy the plans off the neighbour, or sell to plans to someone else).

Builders used to buy plots of land to build houses and then sell them. If you look carefully along, say, a street of terraced houses the different decorations around windows and door lintels, along gutters or brickwork inserts can show the number of plots bought and houses built by each different builder. This applies to other types of housing e.g. semis as in this case but can be easily seen comparing terraces.

1 hour ago, DameClara said:

Builders used to buy plots of land to build houses and then sell them. If you look carefully along, say, a street of terraced houses the different decorations around windows and door lintels, along gutters or brickwork inserts can show the number of plots bought and houses built by each different builder. This applies to other types of housing e.g. semis as in this case but can be easily seen comparing terraces.

bold: Yes, noticing these things is my speciality, sad as it is :hihi:

However, I've only ever driven past this row of houses, and never noticed the pair of them until someone above posted a google link.

I only mentioned it because the OP specifically said that their relation 'built this house for his retirement' - not - 'bought it for his retirement'. If the OP is looking for info into their past, it might be some more info for them.

edit:

I suppose since builders, he probably built both, but why 2? Did one fund the other?

Edited by *_ash_*