Christmas Eve No Longer A Big Night Out.

5 hours ago, makapaka said:

cos the pubs end up full of divs who can’t drink.

Well said.  All the 'Once a year-ers', out tonight. 

We tend to stay local but whereas we'd once be out by 19:00 at the latest, with later opening, it's no early than 21:30 now, plus we're a bit older than we were. 

Last time we ventured into the city centre on Xmas Eve must have been in the last 90's when SCC (for that read council tax payers), subsidised late night buses to get back home. 

What also killed it off for us was most of the city centre pubs not only pre-selliing tickets but then also insisting you had to be in their particular pub by 22:00 or so at the latest.  It seems to have stopped the city centre pub crawl. 

2 Main things. The price of a pint and the smoking ban.

The smoking ban was a fantastic coupe by the Gov't.

"Hey how can we stop the working folk going out and enjoying themselves instead of being dumb?"

Ban Smoking in pubs and put the price of beer up....(BUT), Introduce low cost bulk buy options of beer into supermarkets...That will shut the pubs down and force folk back into their homes... where we can control them via Media and the Internet.

Worked a treat hasn't it.!

2 hours ago, FinBak said:

2 Main things. The price of a pint and the smoking ban.

The smoking ban was a fantastic coupe by the Gov't.

"Hey how can we stop the working folk going out and enjoying themselves instead of being dumb?"

Ban Smoking in pubs and put the price of beer up....(BUT), Introduce low cost bulk buy options of beer into supermarkets...That will shut the pubs down and force folk back into their homes... where we can control them via Media and the Internet.

Worked a treat hasn't it.!

Long been of that opinion Finbak, police were always attending disturbances at pubs in my area  (shiregreen) now not got one pub.

freeing up police resource's for other crimes.  Good point.

7 minutes ago, Padders said:

I used to drink in So many pubs in Sheffield....had some great encounters and laughs and chats.

Including Shiregreen... (Mother-in law- lived on wooly wood bottom.;)) 

You remember the Pubs within reach?

So many I can't count. 

Good times padders eh..:)

5 minutes ago, FinBak said:

I used to drink in So many pubs in Sheffield....had some great encounters and laughs and chats.

Including Shiregreen... (Mother-in law- lived on wooly wood bottom.;)) 

You remember the Pubs within reach?

So many I can't count. 

Good times padders eh..:)

I lived on Woolley Wood Rd, Regular haunts   The Penguin, Horseshoe, Shiregreen Hotel, Bellhouse WMC. all gone now..

As you say good times.

I’ve been in the Blind Monkey, The Hallamshire, The Norfolk Arms and the Greystones over the last few days.

All absolutely rammed and doing a roaring trade. Good pubs are far from dead. 

Mind you, I’ve stayed at home tonight. So the OP may have a point