Lord Nelson/ Fanny's

Bit of a random question but just curious to know why Lord Nelson public house on Arundel st is also known as Fanny's ?

1 hour ago, reaney77 said:

Bit of a random question but just curious to know why Lord Nelson public house on Arundel st is also known as Fanny's ?

It's assumed that it was the name of a previous landlady but could it have earned the nickname because Lord Nelson's wife was called Fanny?

9 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

It's assumed that it was the name of a previous landlady but could it have earned the nickname because Lord Nelson's wife was called Fanny?

Everyone I've asked over the years seems to think it's an old landlady but nobody can say for definite when she was around? 

Edited by Baron99

I used to go in the Nelson on 

On 23/12/2019 at 23:23, Jim Hardie said:

I used to go to the Nelson on my way to the Lane. And you are right about Nelsons wife. I’ve no idea when it started being called Fanny’s but an old landlord told me it’s because of  Nelsons wife ie Nelsons/Fanny.

Previous landladies :-

1937 Mrs Fanny Beadham [ beer retailer only ]

1938 - 39 Mrs Fanny Brocklebank

1942 Mrs Fanny Brocklebank

1944 Mrs Fanny Brocklebank

1948 Mrs Fanny Brocklebank

1951 Mrs Fanny Brocklebank

I guess that is where it comes from. 

Fanny is an old English name.  I had a post removed because I used the name, on who will be the next Bond thread.   I didn’t realise the name went back as far as Lord Nelson.