South Of Sheffield Traffic Madness

5 hours ago, kaytie said:

I use both my car and public transport as appropriate.    If going just to the city centre I take a bus.   However, where imo public transport is poor in Sheffield and car travel the only sensible alternative is travelling from one suburb to another.   E.g. a trip from my home at Crookes to the gym on Ecclesall Road by car takes around ten minutes,  but a bus journey of an hour due to the fact everything goes in and out of the city centre where a change is required.    What's needed are more circular bus routes before car usage is penalised.

5 hours ago, FinBak said:

Well that's a helpful comment isn't it..!

What if it's raining heavily..?

You need to be there kind of thing. 

A bicycle isn't going to cut it.!

The irony of driving to a gym 😄

A bicycle can cut it, plus you get extra free exercise!

Or go to a gym closer to home?

18 hours ago, Andy C said:

I'm not a belief in 'punishing' motorists 

It could be perceived as punishing.  What other way is there to drastically reduce pollution from vehicles?

19 hours ago, Becky B said:

The irony of driving to a gym 😄

A bicycle can cut it, plus you get extra free exercise!

Or go to a gym closer to home?

In response...ti your sarcastic comment:

1.   As a kid I wasn't allowed a bike so can't ride one

2.  Attend the gym for weight training and SWIMMING and that's the nearest one with a pool

3 . There's a little thing called freedom of choice

Have a nice day!

Anyone who drives to St James Retail Park knows that the entry into it is ridiculous. It has one lane in yet 2 out. I saw the traffic on Monday and the back up at Meadowhead roundabout was as a result of this very reason, people waiting to enter the retail park were backed up to and beyond the roundabout. This led to a knock on effect on Greenville Avenue and Greenhill Main Road, even cars coming from Dronfield bypass, the traffic at Noon was horrendous.

The entry is further compounded by the very very tight turning left or right once you have managed to enter, people have to wait more than they should, holding up the traffic behind them.

Obviously many reasons do not help the traffic in the south of Sheffield but at Meadowhead  I 100% think it’s the entry road into St James.

I dont want to be a bore but the traffic around Meadowhead/ St James' puts me off walking as its so noisy and polluted.  it is horrible!!! 

Did we really need the shopping centre?  Really? There's a Morrisons on MEADOWHEAD,  lceland and Asda in Woodseats. Aldi and Sainsburys on the bottom near Abbeydale Road. All of them deliver. lsn't it just that we think we need a wide variety of choice to be happy ... in my humble opinion..

3 hours ago, kaytie said:

In response...ti your sarcastic comment:

1.   As a kid I wasn't allowed a bike so can't ride one

2.  Attend the gym for weight training and SWIMMING and that's the nearest one with a pool

3 . There's a little thing called freedom of choice

Have a nice day!

Then walk.

By freedom of choice do you mean you can choose what to do without any regard to the impact on others?

I avoid that retail park now unless its in the day in the week.A disaster for traffic at busy times who ever signed it off has clearly missed/ignored obvious issues.

On 24/12/2019 at 17:39, kaytie said:

I use both my car and public transport as appropriate.    If going just to the city centre I take a bus.   However, where imo public transport is poor in Sheffield and car travel the only sensible alternative is travelling from one suburb to another.   E.g. a trip from my home at Crookes to the gym on Ecclesall Road by car takes around ten minutes,  but a bus journey of an hour due to the fact everything goes in and out of the city centre where a change is required.    What's needed are more circular bus routes before car usage is penalised.

Well done Kaytie. What you describe makes a lot of sense. All respect to you. 

On 25/12/2019 at 12:52, Janus said:

It could be perceived as punishing.  What other way is there to drastically reduce pollution from vehicles?

By punishing I mean adding tolls, fines or whatever you want to call them, taking parking facilities away, making it more difficult to use a car.

We however shouldn't be making it more attractive than at present.

What we should do more is investing in the infrastructure to make public transport and other alternatives more attractive. 

Buses need to be faster and more reliable - something that cannot be achieved with the current levels of congestion. 

An extremely hilly city like Sheffield should get more buses and subsidy than a flat city. Walking short distances up or down our massive hills isn't an option for many people, even more so when the weather becomes icy and snowy. So we need more circular bus routes as was mentioned above to connect the other services. Making ludicrous bus trips to town and then out again on a different route is not the way forward, it just makes people use the car.

But obviously we also somehow need to clear a path for buses to get through the traffic.

52 minutes ago, Andy C said:

What we should do more is investing in the infrastructure to make public transport and other alternatives more attractive. 

Buses need to be faster and more reliable - something that cannot be achieved with the current levels of congestion. 

This is what has already been happening for as many years as I can remember. Much of the money available for highway schemes is already targeted at improving bus services and encouraging walking and cycling.

Trouble is, only the tram actually produces mode shift away from car use. 

The evidence that I've seen points to the fact that any mode shift towards another "sustainable" mode of travel (walk, cycle, bus) , just abstracts journeys away from the other "sustainable modes of travel.

In my view the only way we will see major reductions in car use is if it is made much more expensive or more difficult (eg there's nowhere to park it if you use do it) to use the car.

50 minutes ago, Bilge said:

An extremely hilly city like Sheffield should get more buses and subsidy than a flat city. Walking short distances up or down our massive hills isn't an option for many people, even more so when the weather becomes icy and snowy. So we need more circular bus routes as was mentioned above to connect the other services. Making ludicrous bus trips to town and then out again on a different route is not the way forward, it just makes people use the car.

But obviously we also somehow need to clear a path for buses to get through the traffic.

I think that is not true. The hills aren't that big and most people get around just fine. The adverse weather normally only happens for a few days a year and there  are now a lot of people who can work from home, so it's not as big a problem as it perhaps used to be.

As others have said, the circular bus routes were not well used that's why there aren't many left. Most daytime/weekday bus  services are run on a commercial basis. If the operators could see a profit in it, they would run a service.

I hear lots of people say " we need this bus service or that bus service" but in truth, they don't use them. They want the bus service there as a backup, just in case they might want to use it, when in fact most to the time they will always use their car. Neither the public sector or  private companies can afford to run bus services on that basis.

How do you think we are going to "clear a path" for buses?

In many places, making additional space for a bus lane alongside the current running lanes is not practical without major engineering work to widen the carriageway, which would undoubtedly need property to be acquired and potentially buildings to be demolished. The costs are huge and the benefits aren't that great to justify it. Major re-routing of traffic to make quicker routes for buses isn't often practical or acceptable to the general public. The other available methods of prioritising bus services, such as giving priority at traffic signals, are already in use.