South Of Sheffield Traffic Madness

7 hours ago, bassett one said:

having seen on many occasions and its more common now that the shot cut to jordanthorpe and batemoor ect is to do a u turn at the st james retail park,i think its dangerous and needs sorting,before theres a serious accident,also the shopping centre is dangerous with its present layout,what do others think? keeping to the topic of these lights and this parking area please,

Personally I think the entrance and exit to Bochum Parkway should only be from/to the west bound section of the dual carriageway (ie towards Meadowhead roundabout).  It might add a couple of minutes to some journeys but get rid of the temptation to make U turns and would get rid of lights east bound (towards the water tower).

I don't think the shopping centre itself is dangerous  - similar size car park / roads to most other small / medium size out of town centres.

its the set out with the width of the parking bays,also its tight turning out and the cars reversing out onto the oncoming traffic ect,i have been to many shopping centres,but this is restricted ,as if it was designed for 60s,to 90s car sizes ,not todays cars,i have visited the site from it opening and hear complaints galore and add this u turn short cut,plus have you noticed lots of crossings in a small length of road.

4 hours ago, bassett one said:

its the set out with the width of the parking bays,also its tight turning out and the cars reversing out onto the oncoming traffic ect,i have been to many shopping centres,but this is restricted ,as if it was designed for 60s,to 90s car sizes ,not todays cars,i have visited the site from it opening and hear complaints galore and add this u turn short cut,plus have you noticed lots of crossings in a small length of road.

Can't see that it's any tighter than eg Meadowhall - built in the early 90's. 

Cars reversing out of parking bays in retail parks, supermarket car parks = no big deal.

Best selling cars today are still superminis & hatchbacks.

Why should a handful of crossings be a problem in a car park - surely drivers expect to see pedestrians in retail centre car parks and not just using crossings?

On 27/01/2020 at 17:20, bassett one said:

having seen on many occasions and its more common now that the shot cut to jordanthorpe and batemoor ect is to do a u turn at the st james retail park,i think its dangerous and needs sorting,before theres a serious accident,also the shopping centre is dangerous with its present layout,what do others think? keeping to the topic of these lights and this parking area please,

Why is the U-turn dangerous?  If the lights to turn right are on green, all other traffic is stationary.

11 hours ago, WokeyMcWokeface said:

Why is the U-turn dangerous?  If the lights to turn right are on green, all other traffic is stationary.

By asking that question you have made yourself look really silly.

I do hope you don't drive

15 hours ago, bassett one said:

Is there something wrong with your car or are you driving a car which is too big for you to drive safely ?

The width of the parking spaces are standard and adequate and I haven't noticed any 'tight turning'.

The crossings are for pedestrians and are necessary to ensure their safety. Most drivers don't have a problem with these.

8 hours ago, Daven said:

By asking that question you have made yourself look really silly.

I do hope you don't drive

I do indeed drive, and regularly U turn at that junction.  There are no signs to say you can't,  and it's stationary traffic in all directions apart from the right turn from which you make the U turn. There is  no pedestrian crossing in the path of the U turn, and it's from a standing start as opposed to at speed. Perhaps  you could enlighten me though?

its just being used as a short cut to batemoor/lowedges,by most now and it doesnt seem right,although i agree not against the law

1 hour ago, WokeyMcWokeface said:

I do indeed drive, and regularly U turn at that junction.  There are no signs to say you can't,  and it's stationary traffic in all directions apart from the right turn from which you make the U turn. There is  no pedestrian crossing in the path of the U turn, and it's from a standing start as opposed to at speed. Perhaps  you could enlighten me though?

That's actually a valid point. !

I sometimes make a u-turn where there are no signs that say that you Can't. Langsett road is one of them.:thumbsup:

I would get radical with Sheffield's traffic. Make Chesterfield Road a one-way system along with Abbeydale Rd. One way into the city, the other way out. There's plenty of connecting roads for those living along either route. It'd take some getting used to, but the traffic into the city on Chesterfield Rd is ludicrous and time-consuming. Two lanes in (or out) would make far more sense.

5 hours ago, wearysmith said:

I would get radical with Sheffield's traffic. Make Chesterfield Road a one-way system along with Abbeydale Rd. One way into the city, the other way out. There's plenty of connecting roads for those living along either route. It'd take some getting used to, but the traffic into the city on Chesterfield Rd is ludicrous and time-consuming. Two lanes in (or out) would make far more sense.

I love that idea

4 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

I love that idea

I presume that you don’t live on one of those roads then. Or any of the connecting roads 

13 hours ago, wearysmith said:

So how do you propose to link up Abbeydale Road to Meadowhead - which road(s) would be dual carriageway?