South Of Sheffield Traffic Madness

Guest busdriver1
58 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Yeah, no-one wants to go to city centre, Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks, University, Railway Station, the Arena, Centertainment, West St, Netherthorpe, Norfolk Park, Manor, Hollinsend, Carbrook, Attercliffe, Gleadless, Herdings, Birley, Hackenthorpe, Mosborough, Halfway, Mosborough, do they?

Strange how thousands of people seem to find it useful every day.

With good initial planning, it could have been thousands every hour, poor planning got poor end results

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Yeah, no-one wants to go to city centre, Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks, University, Railway Station, the Arena, Centertainment, ...

Exactly.

Who *does* want to go from the city centre to meadowhall? From crystal peaks to the university, from the station to the arena?

Most of the places served by the tram are 'destinations' , you don't build a journey out of destinations, you need somewhere to start. For most people, that'll mean their home. And Sheffield's trams seem to go out of their way to avoid residential areas. It's of no use at all to more than half the city.

This thread is about Meadowhead, there's no tram service to Meadowhead. 

Yes, we've put in a bid for £85million from the government, for transport projects. We could do something transformative with that money, but we'll just spend it on a car park, or making the parkway queues 'look' shorter.

You can't get from One side of the City to the Other without major problems.

Some sort of 'fly over' is needed. Cut the city out all together.

Say from Hillsbrough, i deed to get to Gleadless.. 3 miles Ish?

Can take an HOUR if not more and all the hassle to boot.. That's plain ridiculous in this day and age.

I use both my car and public transport as appropriate.    If going just to the city centre I take a bus.   However, where imo public transport is poor in Sheffield and car travel the only sensible alternative is travelling from one suburb to another.   E.g. a trip from my home at Crookes to the gym on Ecclesall Road by car takes around ten minutes,  but a bus journey of an hour due to the fact everything goes in and out of the city centre where a change is required.    What's needed are more circular bus routes before car usage is penalised.

14 minutes ago, kaytie said:

I use both my car and public transport as appropriate.    If going just to the city centre I take a bus.   However, where imo public transport is poor in Sheffield and car travel the only sensible alternative is travelling from one suburb to another.   E.g. a trip from my home at Crookes to the gym on Ecclesall Road by car takes around ten minutes,  but a bus journey of an hour due to the fact everything goes in and out of the city centre where a change is required.    What's needed are more circular bus routes before car usage is penalised.

Use a bicycle. Or walk.

Or don't go at all.

Edited by Bargepole23

4 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Use a bicycle.

Or don't go at all.

Well that's a helpful comment isn't it..!

What if it's raining heavily..?

You need to be there kind of thing. 

A bicycle isn't going to cut it.!

@Planner1

I understand what you have explained about cycle lanes being part of  larger projects. Thank you for providing an insight for us.

As a cyclist, I  wanted to ask - In the near future, do you envisage  a cycle route of a decent continuous distance being provided in it's own right, and not part of another project?

19 minutes ago, kaytie said:

Well said on the 'Circular routes needed'.

I'm not a belief in 'punishing' motorists - not great for the City's economy for a start - but I do believe in giving priority to public transport with segregated lanes, head start across junctions - that kind of thing. Anyone with a choice won't use buses unless the journey time is attractive and reliable - which it won't be if stuck in traffic.

I also believe where public transport can play its role transporting large numbers of people and therefore keeping traffic on busy corridors down - such as to/from the City Centre - then people should be encouraged as much as possible to choose that option, and planners should be considering what road/parking schemes are allowed. However I also believe there are many journeys where public transport is less practical and this needs to be managed in a positive way. 

Lets be honest - if you are going to a retail park to a 'big shed' type store, you are probably buying something big that you probably wouldn't carry on a bus - you either take your car or have it delivered. The Meadowhead area has lots of buses, some stopping right by the retail park, but they won't suit all.

This time of year there are lots of delivery vans on the road as a result of Christmas shopping ordered online as well as people in cars, the roads will be busy. At the end of the day, bad traffic is down to too many vehicles attempting to go the same way - yes you can tinker with road layouts but the only real change comes from less vehicles being on that road!

Incidentally I think it would be great if the tram could be extended to Norton/Meadowhead/Bradway, but to be any good it would need to run on segregated railway, not on street, so you can rely on the timetable and get to your destination pretty quickly rather than sat in traffic.

17 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Well said on the 'Circular routes needed'.

There aren't many circular/orbital routes left as not many use them. There is the 10/10a which requires a local authority subsidy and the 18, little else that immediately springs to mind. Problem is public funding for public transport has been slashed over the years so what can be provided on top of the commercial network is quite limited.

Edited by Andy C

20 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Well that's a helpful comment isn't it..!

I cycle to work, as do many others, and we need to 'be there'.

If it's raining, it's only rain. I don't know about you, but I was born with waterproof skin.

But typical reasons from the terminally bone idle, if it's not possible once then never do it at all.

Ha ha! Stop it ! Absolutely ridiculous! Building flyovers , or making people cycle to work.

1 hour ago, FinBak said:

I cycle to work on Thursdays and Fridays as my wife needs the car.

If it's raining, I put on a coat.