South Of Sheffield Traffic Madness

Due to the volume of traffic turning left into the gymn / leisure centre near St James' Retail Park at busy times, it's often very difficult (& quite dangerous due to the number of drivers who approach quite quickly & turn without bothering to indicate first) to cross over the leisure centre's entrance road when I walk down the footpath from the subway towards the Retail Park.  Seems to have been very little consideration for pedestrians when that road layout was designed?

Edited by GleadlessLad

yes getting in and out and also the layout is bad as cars back in or back out of spaces,zebra crossings on junctions,it is a problem,we needed the shopping centre,but its the design and roads,and theres few buses to get there as well

There are too many selfish people in their cars destroying the environment and I for one am angry 

Did you know that I went to the shops for a pint of milk and it took me almost 1 hour, yes one hour to drive 1 mile

The traffic is beyond a joke

Why can't people walk? 

26 minutes ago, rogets said:

There are too many selfish people in their cars destroying the environment and I for one am angry 

Did you know that I went to the shops for a pint of milk and it took me almost 1 hour, yes one hour to drive 1 mile

Why can't people walk? 

Classic  🤣🤣🤣.

28 minutes ago, Padders said:

Classic  🤣🤣🤣.

Don't see what's so funny about it

Destroying the environment 

It's about time people got off their lazy backsides, stopped going everywhere by car and start walking

Edited by rogets

1 hour ago, rogets said:

Why can't people walk? 

Ger on your bikes .

4 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The planners know what is needed, but politicians take the decisions.

100% with you on this.

It is a very difficult situation for society. We need a law so severe that the majority of motorist cannot afford to have a car on the road. I certainly include myself in this.  But what party is going to introduce such a law? None of them.

5 hours ago, Planner1 said:

What about the Supertram. Cost £230m.  Other cities like Leeds would love to have a tram system like ours.

It doesn't really go anywhere. It's probably quite useful if you live in Hillsborough, but other than that, it couldn't be less useful if it tried.

There’s also been a lot spent on cycling and walking and you can see the type of infrastructure the Council are now aiming for on Charter Row. Segregated cycle superhighway.

We only ever build small sections, they never link up. The cycle lane at charter square is good, but its isolated. 

We have also spent very substantial amounts on bus corridors and bus priority to improve the quality, speed and punctuality of bus services.

Bus corridors? Again, they're too short, and often have cars parked in them. 

15 minutes ago, ads36 said:

It doesn't really go anywhere. It's probably quite useful if you live in Hillsborough, but other than that, it couldn't be less useful if it tried.

Yeah, no-one wants to go to city centre, Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks, University, Railway Station, the Arena, Centertainment, West St, Netherthorpe, Norfolk Park, Manor, Hollinsend, Carbrook, Attercliffe, Gleadless, Herdings, Birley, Hackenthorpe, Mosborough, Halfway, Mosborough, do they?

Strange how thousands of people seem to find it useful every day.

6 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Bus corridors? Again, they're too short, and often have cars parked in them. 

I think you are mistaking bus lanes for bus corridors.

Bus lanes are one part of the toolkit of measures that can be used on a bus corridor. 

Bus corridors tend to cover whole routes, like the 51 or 52 routes.

Again, politicians decide on the exact measures that are to be deployed. Loss of parking tends to be controversial and can be viewed as a vote loser by politicians. Therefore compromises are often made and bus lanes are sometimes only operational at peak hours. The government have also made enforcing such restrictions more difficult by largely banning camera enforcement of parking contraventions.

38 minutes ago, ads36 said:

We only ever build small sections, they never link up. The cycle lane at charter square is good, but its isolated. 

That’s because the small sections are built as parts of other projects that only cover that area, or as part of a planning condition, like at Charter Sq.

Very large, area wide or corridor based schemes cost a lot of money, which usually comes from the government, normally in a competitive bidding scenario.