Sign in to follow this  

Tesco Christmas Card Produced By Chinese Prisoner Slave Labour.

Just listening to this now.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/22/tesco-halts-production-at-chinese-factory-over-forced-labour-claims-christmas-cards

Makes you wonder about the things we buy from supermarkets, where they comes from, who is forced to make them...

Not at all keen to buy anything if someone is being exploited in the production of that thing.

Also, not a fan of China, and not at all keen to buy anything that’s produced in China.

You may not be a fan of china, most people aren't but you will be buying Chinese stuff. As for prisoners working, it's done here, they work for next to nothing.

16 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

You may not be a fan of china, most people aren't but you will be buying Chinese stuff. As for prisoners working, it's done here, they work for next to nothing.

I've NEVER bought Chinese stuff.

So you have no electrical stuff or car?  most have Chinese parts.

a bit sad when there are plenty of British printing companies that should have been involved, and not one from a country that does not ceven elebrate Christmas...I write as a former owner of a printing company..

1 hour ago, FinBak said:

Not true.

22 minutes ago, smithy266 said:

a bit sad when there are plenty of British printing companies that should have been involved, and not one from a country that does not ceven elebrate Christmas...I write as a former owner of a printing company..

Money!

I don't care what these big companies claim, it's all about profit. Quality and how and by who only tends to gets looked into when something like this pops up. I remember when I owned my own company, printing of cards etc was only expensive the first time when the plates? were made, after that the local company (on London Rd) always looked after me price wise.

Edited by zach

3 hours ago, zach said:

Money!

I don't care what these big companies claim, it's all about profit. 

it's not just profit, you only have to scan a few threads on here to know people moan if they have to pay more than 20p for anything. 

there is no profit, if people dont buy the product 

18 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

it's not just profit, you only have to scan a few threads on here to know people moan if they have to pay more than 20p for anything. 

there is no profit, if people dont buy the product 

^^^^^^   This.   Absolutely 100%

We are all a bunch of hyporcrites.     We lap up our £5 christmas jumpers, £2 t-shirts, 50p decorations,  £1.50 boxes of assorted christmas cards and £99.99 non-brand electronics and then have the gall to compain that companies are using far eastern, ethically sketchy suppliers paying "slave wages".  

Of couse they do.   How else do we think it happens.

If we want ethically sourced, locally made, quality products which are made and sold by people paid at least £10 per hour with healthcare and a nice fat pension then we need to be prepared to pay for it at the checkout. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

5 hours ago, FinBak said:

You mean you've never knowingly bought Chinese goods.

You dont suppose that this could just be fake news do you? The English seems to be too good, as anyone who has eve had a manual for a Chinese product would know and it was written in a marker pen by the looks of it. A similar report from 2017 at least had Chinese writing on it and was in pencil.

Maybe a possibility with these things.   Someone attempting reputation damage or some other form of disruption.

At least they have been swift to act by suspending and investigating.  

Either way, I bet it wont stop people happily buying their mass produced bargain basement goods whilst keeping in their selective ignorence bubble of how things get made for such little costs.