Salts Drink Shop Attercliffe Common

Does any one have any info on the Salts Drink shop  that used to be at the top of Weedon street Attercliffe common ? Any info , photos would be amazing.

Many Thanks 🙂

remember the drink shop at weedon street next to barbers shop went to carbrook  county infants /jnr with there daughter Sandra in 1945/50 used to see here at skating rink above Webster furniture store

I think I can help with this one. The Salts , George and Eva were my grandparents. They had 4 children, Vera, Alan, Norma, and Sandra as mentioned in Carbrook lad’s post. Sadly all now deceased.

It was a general sweets and drinks shop, Great place for a kid to grow up, The family had links to other businesses in the area. My great uncle had a tobacconists across the road, in the yard next to the then derelict Burns hotel, another was the landlord of the commercial hotel on the other corner of Weedon St . My great grandfather William Salt had the Pheasant inn.

I remember most of the shops either side of the sweet shop, Ronnie barbers, Fox’s general store, George Banks builders, Bessies sandwich shop, the bookmakers ,( I can remember the name) etc.

Sadly I don’t think any photos survive.

Geeat days 

On 23/04/2020 at 18:11, hillsbro said:

Hi Darwent 02 - welcome to the Forum! Here is a link to a scan from the 1965 Kelly's Directory showing businesses either side of your grandparents' shop. https://i.postimg.cc/rwmK1xqH/Attercliffe-2.jpg

Hi this is also my Grandparents shop, so Darwen 02 must be my cousin 

1 hour ago, Clab said:

Hi this is also my Grandparents shop, so Darwen 02 must be my cousin 

Hi Clab - welcome to the Forum! I don't know if you have access to the 1939 Register - if not you may like to see your grandparents' details: 661-Attercliffe.jpg

Posted twice in error

Edited by drolnhoj
Removed