To Zip Or Not To Zip

from coisley roundabout to park way 7am   9am to town and other way home 4 pm  .to 6pm.should you que first lane or overtake and zip filter in some let you in some don't that's what the right lanes for    or is it.  allways let anyone in 

The roads not used properly ! You should use both Lanes and merge in. Some drivers though actively block the Lanes to hold people back, that's why there are such long queues !

Use all the available lane space, slow together, zip merge.  
take the winner/loser emotion out of it, collaborate. 
the roads are lousy battle-grounds. 

The problem is when you get aggressive drivers who streak down the right-hand lane at a rate of knots to the end of the lane where it merges and then just shove in instead of going down at a 'normal' speed and waiting to be let in earlier on.

3 hours ago, lindylou53 said:

The problem is when you get aggressive drivers who streak down the right-hand lane at a rate of knots to the end of the lane where it merges and then just shove in instead of going down at a 'normal' speed and waiting to be let in earlier on.

You're not letting them in, you are merging.

Drive this route both ways every day and always use the right hand lane if there's queuing traffic. The two lanes are there for a reason, not using the outside lane would be a waste of tarmac! Unfortunately there's always a few that think you're queue jumping and move over to block the lane. There's only one situation there that doesn't contravene the Highway Code and it's not the one I choose :)   

I've seen a number of threads over the years on here discussing this and suggesting that there should be merge in turn signs in place. Whilst that may go some way to enlighten the enraged, it wouldn't be really necessary if people were aware of the Highway Code rules on this. Of course, it would have been sensible to build the road wider with two lanes throughout but we have what we have and I doubt it's going to change.

Edited by simonj

It's for merging, that's how the road system is designed and this is what eases congestion. This is similar to how I pretty much get my own 'out of hours' bus lanes all around town! 

I'm from London (sorry, I can't help it) and if i drove like a sheffeilder down there I wouldn't get anywhere. 

It's strange because tbh Manchester and Leeds all drive normally. It just seems as though drivers in Sheffield have their own style of driving lol. 

14 hours ago, lindylou53 said:

Absolutely!   My pet hate.   

Part of the problem is the road markings and signage.

take the bottom of Prince of Wales Road for example.

People queue in the left lane, back to the roundabout, blocking the through traffic.

At the merge point, the right lane merged into the left lane. There is a merge arrow in the right lane into the left lane.

people in the left feel that they have ‘right of way’

all they should do is put a sign saying Merge in turn, and then re paint the road so that both lanes merge in to the ‘new’ single lane.

then the morons might get it.

3 hours ago, TheNugget said:

all they should do is put a sign saying Merge in turn, and then re paint the road so that both lanes merge in to the ‘new’ single lane.

then the morons might get it.

"morons" is a bit harsh - is that really your opinion of other road users?

1 hour ago, Crissie said:

"morons" is a bit harsh - is that really your opinion of other road users?

Not all of them. Just the ones that sit in the left lane ignoring an empty right lane, back up the roundabout and then either; 

a) position their car as to block traffic in the right lane.

b) drive within 2 inches of the car in front and refuse to allow someone in ‘their’ space.

c) look at you with righteous indignation in their (incorrect) assumption that they are in the right.