Brighton V Blades

On to the next one.....

Brighton are in a bit of form at the minute, but never the less they are patchy and inconsistent. They turned Arsenal over on the road a couple of weeks ago and have then drawn a couple since. Maupay has made no secret of his desire to have a good go at us, he was linked in the summer and for whatever reason it didn't happen. He's banged in 7 goals so far this season, whilst Mousset has knocked away 5 goals. 

Us one the other hand.....One forced Change....

Fleck is out of this one after a cracking game last week, he's picked up yellow cards and finds himself suspended. Besic has come on and to be fair to the lad, he has put in a shift from the bench. I would imagine that this would be the swap that we should expect tomorrow, with the rest unchanged .

Brighton have only lost twice at home, pair this with the face that they have managed 4 clean sheets as well....and well, it spells a pretty tight game. We are solid at the back for the majority and whilst Maupay will fancy his chances, I would like to think that we can nullify the threat. 

Bit of a weird one this one.....On paper, it doesn't look like there will be much in it. The stats spell out a pretty unspectacular game, in which both teams might just cancel one and other out. In this eventuality, it might just be the single goal that takes three points. On the other hand....Brighton haven't faced a team that set up like us yet this season, we will bring a threat to the table that differs from the rest. If we play with confidence from the off and attack the game, then we are more than capable of picking up all of the points. On the road we have been quality so far this season and I can't see why we would change anything now. 

Against the bookies odds...... I'm going for the run to continue, with a 1-2 win to the blades. In the absence of Fleck, I expect to see Lundstram take up a more advance role at times. I fancy him and Mousset to bang one in, although McGoldrick is knocking on the door....he's done everything right but score....and well, he has to break his duck some time soon.

Could be a tricky one this? 

Heart says 2-1 the Blades. 

Head says draw but at least the run continues. 

C'mon McGoldrick! 

Another solid result! Another 3 points! Absolutely fantastic!

Straight out  of the traps, we bossed that first half and to be fair could and probably should have gone in with a better advantage. The goal itself being one of the most direct that we have scored this season, but never the less it was a great little finish from Ollie. 

Second half, Brighton commanded possession without really bothering us too much. The passed it around a bit, but struggled to break through our trademark, solid lines. We had the odd chance on the break, but as both teams pushed on and went for it....it did turn a bit scrappy and possession was turned over by both teams. As Brighton did put on, it led to a congested two thirds of the pitch, meaning that the ball had to be lumped up the channels a good few times. This led to a few unnecessary and uncharacteristic waves of pressure, again though, we more than handled it. 

Two goals ruled out by VAR, the second one was definitely offside, the first one I didn't really see enough of. 

Absolutely class is all that I can say! What an absolutely wonderful position to be in at this stage of the season. All warranted! To be coming towards the end of the year, without a single Premier League team dominating us? To be in 5th position on Merit! To be going toe to toe with every single opponent and to say that we could have got something out of every game!.....To have the best away record for a Premier League newcomer IN HISTORY. 

Get the beers in on that long journey home boys!....Never been so proud to be a Blade....Chris Wilder I salute you and thank you!

6 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Great post cmonkes

Seconded Ridge's...…..

Too many beers to comment,.

Loved reading all the Blades posts, thanks guys.. Happy Xmas to you all..

Just missed MOTD.  Will have to set the player for Sunday. 

But BBC's Saturday teletext, currently showing on page 302 'Saturday' s Premier League reports; Brighton 0, Sheffield United 0', yet the  first para states "McBurnie score his third goal of the season."  No wonder the service is shutting down if this is the quality of journalism. 

Never mind. Might be right in the morning? 

Well done Blades.  Back to 5th in Premier. 

UTB. 

Edited by Baron99

As cmonks says it was a rock solid performance. We were very organised and Brighton rarely threatened. Should have won by more but McGoldrick hasn’t got a clue where the net is .... bless him 

1 hour ago, atticus said:

As cmonks says it was a rock solid performance. We were very organised and Brighton rarely threatened. Should have won by more but McGoldrick hasn’t got a clue where the net is .... bless him 

His contribution is so much more at the minute though, he is the hardest working player on the pitch. He puts himself about in the final third of the pitch, wins pretty much everything in the hair, links up with his strike partner and brings midfielders into play. When he or anyone else gives away possession in the attacking third of the pitch, he tracks all the way back and wins back possession. It's starting to make me wonder when he needs to play in a deeper number 10 role, to take all of this pressure of his back. But; it will come with McGoldrick, he's perhaps trying a little bit too hard in front of goal now. I would be reluctant to change anything too much as the rest of the team are playing so well. 

If we were languishing at the trouble half of the table, I would start to worry about the lack of goals. But; we have a solid defence and we are steadily building up a positive goal ratio. Let's stay grounded and look at our overall target and objection.... we are now 12 points away from where we initially targeted ourselves to get to. We can now up this target to about 50 pts minimum, because we would have to be extremely unlucky to find ourselves in trouble on that target. Once we get to that point, we can treat the league like a mini league, we can start afresh and see how many points we can tally and just how far we can push on. 

It just shows how far good old fashioned togetherness and work ethic can actually take you. That at the end of the day, is what this squad is built on. They work so hard for eachother, both off and on the ball. But yet they are all so confident and we are seeing glimpses of what Wilder saw we he rescued them from hard times. 

Let's have these 2 or 3 new players through the door in January and then let's finish the job. Survival is key, anything else is just a bonus.....Each position outside of the relegation zone is something to build on next season.

7 hours ago, cmonkes said:

His contribution is so much more at the minute though, he is the hardest working player on the pitch. He puts himself about in the final third of the pitch, wins pretty much everything in the hair, links up with his strike partner and brings midfielders into play. When he or anyone else gives away possession in the attacking third of the pitch, he tracks all the way back and wins back possession. It's starting to make me wonder when he needs to play in a deeper number 10 role, to take all of this pressure of his back. But; it will come with McGoldrick, he's perhaps trying a little bit too hard in front of goal now. I would be reluctant to change anything too much as the rest of the team are playing so well. 

If we were languishing at the trouble half of the table, I would start to worry about the lack of goals. But; we have a solid defence and we are steadily building up a positive goal ratio. Let's stay grounded and look at our overall target and objection.... we are now 12 points away from where we initially targeted ourselves to get to. We can now up this target to about 50 pts minimum, because we would have to be extremely unlucky to find ourselves in trouble on that target. Once we get to that point, we can treat the league like a mini league, we can start afresh and see how many points we can tally and just how far we can push on. 

It just shows how far good old fashioned togetherness and work ethic can actually take you. That at the end of the day, is what this squad is built on. They work so hard for eachother, both off and on the ball. But yet they are all so confident and we are seeing glimpses of what Wilder saw we he rescued them from hard times. 

Let's have these 2 or 3 new players through the door in January and then let's finish the job. Survival is key, anything else is just a bonus.....Each position outside of the relegation zone is something to build on next season.

Even though realistically McGoldrick should be on around 6/7 goals this season there is no way you can drop him. How many other premier league strikers track back 50 yards several times a game to put a tackle in? Thats why we love him.

12 hours ago, atticus said:

Even though realistically McGoldrick should be on around 6/7 goals this season there is no way you can drop him. How many other premier league strikers track back 50 yards several times a game to put a tackle in? Thats why we love him.

Agree with all the above, but one thing I have noticed is Mcgoldrick never practises shooting with the other strikers during pre match warm up

Another brilliant result, 5th at Christmas. Bloody incredible. 

There's no way we can drop McGoldrick. He's the best player on the ball in the team and the most creative. One of my favourite players.