The Dore Grill

On 12/01/2020 at 17:54, taxman said:

On the back of this thread I looked up their menu. Hello the 1970's your time is up.

£11.50 for a scampi starter....a melon fan....prawn cocktail...whitebait.

It's like an homage to The Good Companions hotel in Douglas, Isle of Man, I used to visit for TT races back in the 70's.

Vegetable pancake...Mushroom Stroganoff...it just gets better 😅

Never been, so as being even handed as possible, it might have been done really really well, or perhaps ironically, served on a shovel. It might be just what the area needs and it makes money. But I've seen more imaginative menus at a Little Chef.

On 14/01/2020 at 00:51, tinfoilhat said:

Never been, so as being even handed as possible, it might have been done really really well, or perhaps ironically, served on a shovel. It might be just what the area needs and it makes money. But I've seen more imaginative menus at a Little Chef.

I've been once I think, quite a few years ago, before they changed the name slightly, to "Joe & Dolores at Dore Grill".  It was still the same ownership as now.  

I remember walking in and seeing all these traditional little wooden tables with wheel-back chairs and red and white gingham tablecloths.  A "maitre D" type bloke, dressed in a dinner suit with bow tie, was gently cooking a flambe steak in a little copper pan over a single burner on a trolley.  There were lots of old folks in there, most of them had grey or blue hair.  Outside, the Nissan Micra's and Toyota Yaris's were piling up in the car park.  More elderly entered.  It was like God's waiting room in there I'll tell yer!

Now, there's nothing wrong with being elderly - but I'd say  the average age of folks in there was maybe 75 - and the reason why it's so popular is because they cook things the way that many of that older generation like.  The meat is well done.  The veg are very soft.  (Boiled to death is another way of putting it).  If me little owd mam was still alive I'd be taking her there for a special treat.  But not until they get that hygiene rating sorted out.

On 12/01/2020 at 17:54, taxman said:

On the back of this thread I looked up their menu. Hello the 1970's your time is up.

£11.50 for a scampi starter....a melon fan....prawn cocktail...whitebait.

It's like an homage to The Good Companions hotel in Douglas, Isle of Man, I used to visit for TT races back in the 70's.

Vegetable pancake...Mushroom Stroganoff...it just gets better 😅

😂  Nice one Taxman!  Made me laugh out loud that one.  Better not read any more of your posts just yet, the missus is still asleep in bed!

Is this place still going? I went years ago (about 20 years ago) and seem to remember the dining room being transformed into a mini disco/dance floor after dinner. Unless I'm getting it confused with somewhere else... the food wasn't wonderful but we had a good evening. 

Guest makapaka
On 23/02/2022 at 23:12, bungleboy69 said:

Is this place still going? I went years ago (about 20 years ago) and seem to remember the dining room being transformed into a mini disco/dance floor after dinner. Unless I'm getting it confused with somewhere else... the food wasn't wonderful but we had a good evening. 

I went past it the other day and it looked open to me.

On 13/02/2020 at 07:36, DerbyTup said:

It was like God's waiting room in there I'll tell yer!

Are you still alive?  I'm 80 and I've never been in GWR.  That is a dreadful thing to say.