The Dore Grill

Someone sent me a picture of the cleanliness report for The Grill in Sore it had been rated ONE. I have been a few times and had excellent meals and service. Is it still open.?  Is there some mistake?

On 20/12/2019 at 17:47, scousemouse said:

Someone sent me a picture of the cleanliness report for The Grill in Sore it had been rated ONE. I have been a few times and had excellent meals and service. Is it still open.?  Is there some mistake?

Yes it's still open - and it's called "Joe & Dolores at The Grill".   And it's in "Dore" not "Sore" btw.   It was previously known as "The Dore Grill" (same owners I think) - so I guess we are talking about the same place?  Centre of the village, opposite the church, popular with over 65's, blue-rinse brigade, who like their vegetables boiled to death and their meat well done.  It's like a Nissan Micra rally there most Sunday's. 😃

There is a mistake if you believe that the level of service is related to the food hygiene rating.  But other than that, no...there's no mistake.  That doesn't mean you won't find a meal there enjoyable or tasty, but you are taking a risk with your health eating there, that's what it means.  

It doesn't put me off, because I wouldn't consider going there in the first place.  I've been once and found it exactly as I described in the first paragraph above.  But if I was a regular diner, I'd seriously think twice about going again.

Edited by DerbyTup

Isn`t a lot of the weight of the rating heavily to doing the correct paperwork at the correct time  and having it available for scrutiny more than cleanliness?

10 hours ago, jemson said:

Isn`t a lot of the weight of the rating heavily to doing the correct paperwork at the correct time  and having it available for scrutiny more than cleanliness?

There is an element of this yes, I think the report should state the reasons why the places rate so badly, I'd eat somewhere where they'd not filled a form in but not somewhere that was considered unclean.

But surely the form-filling is related to the cleanliness and all-round food safety regime isn't it? Confirming the stuff they have done to ensure this, time after time, not as a one-off exercise.  That's the point of it. It's not needless 'red tape' that we need to sweep away.

We'd all rather they had the paperwork they're supposed to.

On 07/01/2020 at 22:15, Brooker11 said:

There is an element of this yes, I think the report should state the reasons why the places rate so badly, I'd eat somewhere where they'd not filled a form in but not somewhere that was considered unclean.

The paperwork documents that checks are being made on the safe handling of food from delivery through to storage, preparation and ultimately service.

If things aren't being held at safe temperatures, a single bacteria can multiply into billions within 24 hrs.

And that's just one aspect. Can a place demonstrate that all their staff know how to handle food safely and have been trained to a level that gives confidence that they don't pose a risk to the public?

There are plenty of news examples on the internet, videos on YouTube of people (usually the very young or elderly) suffering permanent brain damage and plenty others who died due to poor food safety management.

I can pretty much guarantee that if someone in Sheffield was to die because someone at a restaurant CBA to do a few checks and thought 'it'll be reyt', everyone would be screaming blue murder despite how clean the place appeared to be.

1 hour ago, Mr. Johnson said:

The paperwork documents that checks are being made on the safe handling of food from delivery through to storage, preparation and ultimately service.

If things aren't being held at safe temperatures, a single bacteria can multiply into billions within 24 hrs.

And that's just one aspect. Can a place demonstrate that all their staff know how to handle food safely and have been trained to a level that gives confidence that they don't pose a risk to the public?

There are plenty of news examples on the internet, videos on YouTube of people (usually the very young or elderly) suffering permanent brain damage and plenty others who died due to poor food safety management.

I can pretty much guarantee that if someone in Sheffield was to die because someone at a restaurant CBA to do a few checks and thought 'it'll be reyt', everyone would be screaming blue murder despite how clean the place appeared to be.

You could have done all the groundwork but not have filled the paperwork in surely.

9 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

You could have done all the groundwork but not have filled the paperwork in surely.

May well be but then you're just taking somebody's word for it.

If they're not doing the paperwork it's poor/ negligent management.

Would a sane person risk their own health, their kids, pregnant women eat at a place where the staff told them 'yeah, we did it - we just CBA / forgot to do it?

Not exactly filling anyone wth confidence.

On 09/01/2020 at 20:50, Mr. Johnson said:

May well be but then you're just taking somebody's word for it.

If they're not doing the paperwork it's poor/ negligent management.

Would a sane person risk their own health, their kids, pregnant women eat at a place where the staff told them 'yeah, we did it - we just CBA / forgot to do it?

Not exactly filling anyone wth confidence.

Usually, good restaurants have standard operating procedures in place that have to be strictly followed and checks are regularly made to make sure they are.  Even places like McDonald's have a process which every employee in every McDonald's worldwide has to follow to the letter.  That's how they ensure they have a safe, consistent product.  

If a restaurant is operating without such "paperwork" in place then the customers cannot have any confidence in quality and hygiene.  So I don't think we can just pass this off as being an administrative issue.

On the back of this thread I looked up their menu. Hello the 1970's your time is up.

£11.50 for a scampi starter....a melon fan....prawn cocktail...whitebait.

It's like an homage to The Good Companions hotel in Douglas, Isle of Man, I used to visit for TT races back in the 70's.

Vegetable pancake...Mushroom Stroganoff...it just gets better 😅

On 08/01/2020 at 09:13, Bilge said:

But surely the form-filling is related to the cleanliness and all-round food safety regime isn't it? Confirming the stuff they have done to ensure this, time after time, not as a one-off exercise.  That's the point of it. It's not needless 'red tape' that we need to sweep away.

We'd all rather they had the paperwork they're supposed to.

Exactly.

Process and paperwork is a critical tool in managing the cleaning process and ensuring staff carry out their duties.Its not a guarantee that it’s being done correctly but if it’s not in place there is a far higher probability that it’s not.