Amazon Item Not Ordered.

I am puzzled about recent activity on my Amazon Account.

Can anyone explain what has happened.

I received confirmation of an item ordered costing £10.99 that I had not ordered.

It does not appear on my order list and Amazon confirmed that it was not ordered.

No money has gone from my account.

The item arrived this morning.

If this is some sort of scam what is happening?

I have spent the last hour altering passwords etc on Amazon and bank accounts just for peace of mind.

Hmmmm...

An old work colleague of mine had something similar happen a few years ago.

Some unordered toiletries arrived out of the blue, and nothing charged.

Some weeks later, ditto, but a little more expensive this time.

I can't remember exactly how the scam was meant to work, but it involved Amazon employees affixing a different label after a certain point in the checking process, and somehow stepping up the value of goods as time went on. Once "you'd" ordered your 66" 4K TV, you'd have moved to a new address...

Good move changing your passwords etc.

Contact Amazon. They should send you labels to return it free. Do not hand the parcel to anyone at the door.

and don't sign anything, especially those electronic things, that how they get your signature. 

Thanks for comments but things have developed a bit.

Payment of £10.99 was taken from my account 

I decided to change the card linked to my account,and whilst doing this checked my delivery settings which have only ever been my home address.

Another address has appeared which is an Amazon locker with a Greater London address!

This is set as a possible default address.

All details have been sent to Amazon security and after discussion with their customer service my Account is closed pending investigation.

My £10.99 is being refunded and I can keep the delivered item....wish it was something I needed😁.

I am the only user of the computer used for my Amazon account so heaven knows how this happens but beware.

I can only assume that the next step may have been to order a more expensive item to be delivered to this distant Amazon locker.

Theres a load of swindlers out there.

Yes, it sounds like the same scam I mentioned earlier is still up and running, so well done for spotting it.

I wonder how many people would receive the first item, check to see that they haven't been charged, and then keep it - and schtum! -  because "it's a freebie which has just been mis-delivered"?

9 hours ago, RJRB said:

I am the only user of the computer used for my Amazon account so heaven knows how this happens but beware.

You can be as careful as you possibly can be, but the companies are now the weak link in the chain. From last year:

Amazon hit with major data breach days before Black Friday

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/nov/21/amazon-hit-with-major-data-breach-days-before-black-friday

Could be worth checking if your email provider has also had a data breach.

11 hours ago, Chez2 said:

and don't sign anything, especially those electronic things, that how they get your signature. 

My signature on those things looks nothing like my signature!

Whats the security concern? Surely if you don’t sign, they won’t leave you any items?

23 hours ago, Chez2 said:

On those things my sig. looks like the efforts of an 8 year old wearing boxing gloves:)

For anyone interested in Amazon account security, I'd advise enabling two factor authentication on your account.

if you used the same password elsewhere, and that site got hacked, it's a way in. check on haveibeenpwned

saving cc details on a retailers site is never a good idea.

Edited by fools