Dont Call Jesus 'Our Lord'

We all have our own beliefs and celebrations,  if people of other faiths start buying xmas trees and all the other Christmassy things wouldn't that be cherrypicking whilst not caring about Jesus and the Christian faith at all - how many Christians go to other religious celebration events?

42 minutes ago, cressida said:

We all have our own beliefs and celebrations,  if people of other faiths start buying xmas trees and all the other Christmassy things wouldn't that be cherrypicking whilst not caring about Jesus and the Christian faith at all - how many Christians go to other religious celebration events?

the tree and the bulk of the other christmas paraphenalia have their roots in the non-christian religions

it's rather like cadburys creme eggs and Passiontide.

anyway, here's a pretty awsome version of a carol. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5CZHHK2WQQ

and a Yule prayer, which is pretty non-denominational

First, I am thankful for my health.
Second, I am thankful for my family.
Third, I am thankful for my warm home.
Fourth, I am thankful for the abundance in my life.

2 hours ago, cressida said:

Well it's all commercialized now.

Whether you're Christian or not, it's what people do- Christmassy things.

Businesses  are after your money- there's nothing religious going on or Christian messages. 

3 hours ago, cressida said:

If someone wishes to celebrate Christmas, you can do it culturally, religiously, or both (as can people of other faiths). If I or others wished to partake communally in the events/celebrations of other faiths, then I think it might be considered disrespectful if we tried to alter anything that is doctrinal in nature that pertains to some particular faith. 

From Wiki:

The celebratory customs associated in various countries with Christmas have a mix of pre-Christian, Christian, and secular themes and origins.[30] Popular modern customs of the holiday include gift giving; completing an Advent calendar or Advent wreath; Christmas music and caroling; viewing a Nativity play; an exchange of Christmas cards; church services; a special meal; and the display of various Christmas decorations, including Christmas trees, Christmas lights, nativity scenes, garlands, wreaths, mistletoe, and holly. In addition, several closely related and often interchangeable figures, known as Santa Claus, Father Christmas, Saint Nicholas, and Christkind, are associated with bringing gifts to children during the Christmas season and have their own body of traditions and lore.[

Guest makapaka

The thing is - kids don’t need religion - they should just need to feel they’re the same as everyone else.

now In this country - if you’re a kid from a non Christian background at school you’re basically involved in a celebration that you don’t celebrate. 

So for the parents in the article  saying their kids are Christian and want them to do their thing, it’s the same for non-Christian families to want their kids to do their thing.

personally I think both attitudes are wrong - I never mentioned conforming to a religion to my daughter - no chance.

but - if someone does something to try and keep it inclusive - so both kids can just sing a song and be happy and unaffected by doing it - happy days.

Edited by makapaka

9 hours ago, makapaka said:

The thing is - kids don’t need religion - they should just need to feel they’re the same as everyone else.

now In this country - if you’re a kid from a non Christian background at school you’re basically involved in a celebration that you don’t celebrate. 

So for the parents in the article  saying their kids are Christian and want them to do their thing, it’s the same for non-Christian families to want their kids to do their thing.

personally I think both attitudes are wrong - I never mentioned conforming to a religion to my daughter - no chance.

but - if someone does something to try and keep it inclusive - so both kids can just sing a song and be happy and unaffected by doing it - happy days.

Generally kids are the same as 'everyone else'- but that is not always the case.

A lot will depend on circumstances and what life has thrown your way- and some cases, kids grow up to find their on paths.

Basics: as far as I'm aware, Christianity is either trinitarian or unitarian.

The latter does not accord divine status to Jesus. So I guess that its followers would agree with the thread's title.

[NB: I hold a neutral position, what with not being Christian at all, but I stand open to correction from those who are and might disagree with the 'basics' analysis]