Dont Call Jesus 'Our Lord'

20 hours ago, lottiecass said:

How about taking all religion out of schools , including carols, it would save any argument.

I would agree with this.  

My issue with this isn't that they've changed tradition yada yada. For me it's that this head teach has come up with a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  This is a primary school, the kids don't care, what they're more concerned about is getting out of a lesson for an hour to sing a few songs which lets be honest they wont really know the meaning of anyway. 

It's being blown out of proportion as usual.

One headteacher just happens to kick off something that no one has been bothered about for donkey years..

I am not Christian but have probably sung that carol countless times when was in school- and no parents or other  kids had issues. It's not like by singing 'Lord Jesus' they become Christian or are automatically baptized!

Jeez....

Guest makapaka
59 minutes ago, Waldo said:

They being the head teacher and possibly others, who decided to change the words of the song?

If so, yes I agree, it’s a bit messed up.

I suspect that’s not what you mean though, and that we clearly have different views on this.

No I meant anyone that thinks that any form of exclusivity surrounding little kids over a song about the nativity is ok.

weird.

Christmas is a Christian celebration and singing carols is part of it. If you are not a Christian you don’t have to take part. If I was invited to another religions service I would treat it with the respect it deserves and wouldn’t expect anything to change because I’m not of that religion.

I consider myself atheist, but like nothing better than heading down the pub at this time of year to sing some local carols!

I don't think too hard about the words, just enjoy the singing, and the atmosphere (and the beer...).

Do primary age children analyse the lyrics to every song they sing, or do they just mimic?  I imagine those who are indoctrinated into the faith might understand it, but to the others it's just a song you sing in December/at Christmas.

Incidentally, the 'Normandy Carol' setting of Away in a Manger is far and away more beautiful than the 'traditional' one.

Guest makapaka
6 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

Christmas is a Christian celebration and singing carols is part of it. If you are not a Christian you don’t have to take part. If I was invited to another religions service I would treat it with the respect it deserves and wouldn’t expect anything to change because I’m not of that religion.

What if you were a kid at school and it was in a class room.

10 hours ago, makapaka said:

What if you were a kid at school and it was in a class room.

It must be difficult for some kids if they feel like they are missing out. But the more they learn about other beliefs the better for them and us. But I don’t think it’s right to change the words to a hymn or carol for the reasons we’re discussing.

On 19/12/2019 at 16:50, lottiecass said:

Nobody is arguing about those subjects.

Yet

Apparently the year before 60 children didn't attend the carol service at the local church due to their religious beliefs. So, no the children aren't forced to attend and sing anything.

Also it's important to note that the service takes place in a church not at school.

Can they just all do Slade and Wizard instead? Everybody's happy then.

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Can they just all do Slade and Wizard instead? Everybody's happy then.

Amen brother.