Dont Call Jesus 'Our Lord'

3 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

So singing religious songs should be compulsory? even having to change words in them to placate other religions, it's lunacy. 

Not at all but singing religious songs is a different matter compared to removing religious studies completely.

On 18/12/2019 at 11:55, Daven said:

Christmas is a Christian celebration.

Those of other faiths may learn more about the Christian faith by studying and maybe singing Christmas Carols but the words shouldn't be changed.

Christmas is a Christian celebration to some, for many it is not. 

This is the case for myself and my family,  Santa,  Christmas trees and reindeer are much more relevant and are completely unrelated to the nativity. 

However,  I don't think religion is something you can legitimately apply in half measures (one of the reasons why I'm not a fan), if you're going to acknowledge that Jesus Christ was an actual person and the son of God (whilst simultaneously being God himself) then how on Earth could you justify changing traditional religious carols to omit identifying him as your "lord" ?

On 18/12/2019 at 09:12, BobOfRoth said:

What are your views on this?

https://www.premier.org.uk/News/UK/Parents-outrage-as-school-tells-children-not-to-sing-Lord-in-Christmas-carol-classic

The words to some Christmas carols changed to be more inclusive to other faiths.

Personally I feel if someone does not like Christmas carols then the answer is a simple one, dont sing them, dont go to the nativity play and so something else instead.

Pandering to the PC brigade as usual .  

Yay the usual Christmas is banned thread, Christmas is now complwte

Edited by melthebell

15 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Yay the usual Christmas is banned thread, Christmas is now complwte

... and you can't call Easter eggs Easter eggs!

9 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

... and you can't call Easter eggs Easter eggs!

Cadburys creme eggs? Lol

Guest makapaka
8 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

Christmas is a Christian celebration to some, for many it is not. 

This is the case for myself and my family,  Santa,  Christmas trees and reindeer are much more relevant and are completely unrelated to the nativity. 

However,  I don't think religion is something you can legitimately apply in half measures (one of the reasons why I'm not a fan), if you're going to acknowledge that Jesus Christ was an actual person and the son of God (whilst simultaneously being God himself) then how on Earth could you justify changing traditional religious carols to omit identifying him as your "lord" ?

Well because not everyone does acknowledge it - but may still like to sing a Christmas related song with the other children in the class as part of the overall celebration.

they’re only little kids after all.

49 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Well because not everyone does acknowledge it - but may still like to sing a Christmas related song with the other children in the class as part of the overall celebration.

Other people (myself included) may not resonate with the meaning / intent of the song; but consider it a bit of a liberty and quite insensitive to mess with something that is likely very meaningful to many people.

17 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Other people (myself included) may not resonate with the meaning / intent of the song; but consider it a bit of a liberty and quite insensitive to mess with something that is likely very meaningful to many people.

Well said 😄

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Waldo said:

I’d say they were being over-sensitive and quite selfish to expect kids to be potentially marginalised in a class room on account of changing a song about a fairytale / story.

In fact - id say it was pretty weird. 

Edited by makapaka

If you do not agree with the words to a particular song/hymn/carol then don't sing THAT one.

There are plenty of others to choose from.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

I’d say they were being over-sensitive and quite selfish to expect kids to be potentially marginalised in a class room on account of changing a song about a fairytale / story.

In fact - id say it was pretty weird. 

They being the head teacher and possibly others, who decided to change the words of the song?

If so, yes I agree, it’s a bit messed up.

I suspect that’s not what you mean though, and that we clearly have different views on this.