Dont Call Jesus 'Our Lord'

Guest makapaka
Just now, tinfoilhat said:

Better drop the third verse altogether then.

Maybe they have.

the point is it's little kids singing a song about a baby that was supposedly born by immaculate conception in a barn 2000 years ago with 3 wise men present who followed a giant star that appeared in the sky to the barn to find the baby there that turned about to be an invisible God's son but was actually God......does it really matter  if;

1. The kids who believe that story sing "baby" instead of "lord"

2. The kids who believe a different story sing "baby" instead of "lord"

3. The kids who don't really believe any story but just like celebrating christams sing "baby" instead of "lord"

Lord Jesus, as far as Christians are concerned, infers that he is supreme (or the equal of) over other dieties, but other faiths would disagree. It might be more acceptable if others with a different faith were prepared to modify the words of their songs/texts in a similar situation

Edited by carosio

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Maybe they have.

the point is it's little kids singing a song about a baby that was supposedly born by immaculate conception in a barn 2000 years ago with 3 wise men present who followed a giant star that appeared in the sky to the barn to find the baby there that turned about to be an invisible God's son but was actually God......does it really matter  if;

1. The kids who believe that story sing "baby" instead of "lord"

2. The kids who believe a different story sing "baby" instead of "lord"

3. The kids who don't really believe any story but just like celebrating christams sing "baby" instead of "lord"

No, it doesn't matter.

I have the most simple solution to this "issue":

1. Sing a song.

2. Don't sing a song.

I believe my solution is inclusive and acceptable for everyone.

Guest makapaka
6 minutes ago, Branyy said:

No, it doesn't matter.

I have the most simple solution to this "issue":

1. Sing a song.

2. Don't sing a song.

I believe my solution is inclusive and acceptable for everyone.

How would it be inclusive to have some little kids singing the song and some sat not singing it.

thats the opposite of inclusive.

1 hour ago, carosio said:

Lord Jesus, as far as Christians are concerned, infers that he is supreme (or the equal of) over other dieties, but other faiths would disagree. It might be more acceptable if others with a different faith were prepared to modify the words of their songs/texts in a similar situation

What songs of other faiths are the Christian children being asked to sing in schools?

Anyone want to offer me odds on this one? 

I bet the Headmistress is middle class & white?

I'll double up & say she's also not asked any of the parents of any ethnic minority children who are not Christian for their opinion on the matter? 

8 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I'll double up & say she's also not asked any of the parents of any ethnic minority children who are not Christian for their opinion on the matter? 

Having read the linked story, you'd probably lose on your first bet, and there is no clear indication on your second.😀

28 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Headteacher, Zakia Khatun, had announced in the assembly that that reason for the change was so that ‘all pupils can participate in the celebration’. Many other parents and staff at the school are unhappy about what has happened.

Yep, couldn't get a more middle class & white name like that.

Just now, Mr Fisk said:

Yep, couldn't get a more middle class & white name like that.

I couldn't see the link.  Shot in the dark. 

I think some people see an opportunity to attract attention to themselves. Like when some unknown radio presenter decides Fairytale of New York is offensive.  I've worked with a lot of people from ethnic minority groups and I don't remember any of them not joining in with Christmas celebrations in their own way. 

When does it matter what you call Fictional things something other than they are portrayed?

8 hours ago, BobOfRoth said:

What are your views on this?

https://www.premier.org.uk/News/UK/Parents-outrage-as-school-tells-children-not-to-sing-Lord-in-Christmas-carol-classic

The words to some Christmas carols changed to be more inclusive to other faiths.

Personally I feel if someone does not like Christmas carols then the answer is a simple one, dont sing them, dont go to the nativity play and so something else instead.

On Classic FM earlier they had While shepherds .... by night

I never heard the words anyway, as a kid or now.

I like the pipe organ in the one that was playing though. Really good bass pipes. Was from Kings College Cambridge.

Only one I can find on youtube, doesn't have any bass in it, and can hardly hear the pipes. Shame. Still worth a listen with headphones. A great organ.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I couldn't see the link.  Shot in the dark. 

It’s always a good idea to establish what happened first - before applying lazy stereotypes.