Sheffield Christmas Markets. So Disappointing!

9 minutes ago, Bilge said:

All xmas markets are full of overpriced stuff you don't need. Just because it's sold from a shed doesn't make it any good.

Very true.  Overpriced chocs and Himalayan salt lamps, and don't get me started on £6 hotdogs! 

£6 for a hot dog is very pricey in my opinion,how much for a burger or chips? ,you can get a meal for that cost at some cafes,why dont those in charge take a look and copy successfull christmas markets,but it would be great to get a funfair and market under cover ,like some other citys accross england.

I visited Sheffield a couple of weeks ago to see family. I have to say, I thought how vibrant your city centre had become with all the  Christmas stalls, rides etc. Don't knock it ... A lot of thought has gone into organising the festive market.

9 hours ago, pattricia said:

I do believe that internet shopping has killed the Christmas markets, just like it has done to the high street shops.

The internet can't  give you atmosphere,  hot dogs, hot toddies and all the fun of the fair. 

3 hours ago, sedith said:

I visited Sheffield a couple of weeks ago to see family. I have to say, I thought how vibrant your city centre had become with all the  Christmas stalls, rides etc. Don't knock it ... A lot of thought has gone into organising the festive market.

I agree. 

I nipped into town yesterday morning, for the first time in ages. There was a lovely atmosphere. It was busy for a Monday morning. The market was fine too, although the stuff in the sheds wasn’t really my cup of tea.

The city centre has come a long way in the last few years. Support it and help

it to grow 

Sheffield town centre is up and coming - beautiful buildings , lots of wonderful places to eat and drink and a great atmosphere. Those of you who think otherwise need to open your eyes and stop being so negative. By the way, I have visited Manchester Christmas market over several years and it really is awful - overpriced food and drink and full of tat and drunk people. Not very pleasant tbh.

Edited by Daven

You can't  beat the German Christmas Markets or Vienna which is on channel 5 at the moment.

I love their Christmas Markets, we're  just playing at it in Sheffield.

Didn’t Christmas markets start in Germany ? 

I think the market is actually better this year than it has been for the past few years. As others have said, it definitely brings some atmosphere to the town centre. I went out on Saturday night and at 6.15pm, the market was still bustling with shoppers and there was a lovely atmosphere around it. 

The best Christmas market I have visited was  in Cologne.

The market in Sheffield is far better than Manchester or Leeds imo.

Edited by Daven

Visited Skipton market 2 weeks ago and it was horrendous. Too busy to get anyway near the stalls which were a mix of common market products and over priced Christmas tat. Cafes and restaurants refusing entry, takeaways with 20 min queues and then nowhere to sit. Herded into coach park and kept waiting in the cold and dark for an hour until our coach was allowed access. Best part of the day was the canal trip, made festive only by our fellow travellers, exactly the same as the summer offering. Won’t be going back 

so it sounds that skipton was great except its become to popular for its own good,any reports from these indoor market/funfairs they have i think mainly in scotland