Strikes On Public Transport To Be Made Illegal

Guest makapaka

So the tories sell the transport to private enterprises.

The private transport companies seek to maximise profits - by charging us more  and paying employees less / reducing workers rights.

The employees seek to strike to stop this but the tories make it illegal to strike and do what - imprison the workers if they do so?

No one thinks this is a bad thing.

How about addressing the reason why the employees wish to strike in the first instance - I assume it's not because they are delighted with their existing working arrangements.

A legal minimum level of service during a strike isn't a ban on strikes. It's setting a minimum level of service.

19 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

A legal minimum level of service during a strike isn't a ban on strikes. It's setting a minimum level of service.

Perhaps a legal minimum service level 24/7 would improve the service   :)

I think all our freedoms and rights should be abolished in case they inconvenience and upset someone.

6 minutes ago, 26b-6 said:

I think all our freedoms and rights should be abolished in case they inconvenience and upset someone.

I take it this is a tongue in cheek comment? The far right won't be happy until we are all totally subserviant to them.

The trouble with striking is that it affects the ordinary people you want on your side. But what's the alternative? 

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I take it this is a tongue in cheek comment? The far right won't be happy until we are all totally subserviant to them.

The trouble with striking is that it affects the ordinary people you want on your side. But what's the alternative? 

Mass disobedience.   Don't pay parking fines, TV license etc etc Do absolutely nothing!

On 16/12/2019 at 11:47, *_ash_* said:

A key difference with buses, is that up north, not having a conductor means buses are slow. Major arterial routes would be much better, if they didn't stop for 10 mins at each stop while people pay with 1ps (it seems)

That problem was fixed in London by making everything Oyster.

I don't know why a similar system can't be rolled out everywhere else?  

5 minutes ago, 26b-6 said:

Mass disobedience.   Don't pay parking fines, TV license etc etc Do absolutely nothing!

Nice idea, but if you can't even get ordinary people to support the strikes of their fellow workers, you aren't going to have much luck with this.

10 minutes ago, geared said:

That problem was fixed in London by making everything Oyster.

I don't know why a similar system can't be rolled out everywhere else?  

Because in London you have ONE operator (TfL) who control all bus routes/times &c, and then invites tenders from bus companies to run the service - so all revenue goes direct to them, and they pay the bus company the agreed tender.

In the rest of the country, you have independent operators , how do you expect the system to work in these areas?

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Because in London you have ONE operator (TfL) who control all bus routes/times &c, and then invites tenders from bus companies to run the service - so all revenue goes direct to them, and they pay the bus company the agreed tender.

In the rest of the country, you have independent operators , how do you expect the system to work in these areas?

I can buy a ticket from First, to use on a TM bus, or a Stagecoach tram.

It can’t be too difficult to fully integrate the ticket system.

However, you are right, a single operator would be preferable 

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I can buy a ticket from First, to use on a TM bus, or a Stagecoach tram.

It can’t be too difficult to fully integrate the ticket system.

However, you are right, a single operator would be preferable 

Yes , you can. A Travelmaster ticket. Try using a Stagecoach ticket on TM or First - won't work.

To 'fully integrate' the system as you suggest would need just one operator - like in London - but that ain't going to happen. Unfortunately, I'm only aware of one other area in the country where 99% of the bus companies kind of co-operate to try and make life easier for the travelling public, but even there you can be caught out if you don't check the small print.