Tv Adaptation Of His Dark Materials

A few years ago I took my kids to see "The Golden Compass", an adaptation of the novel "His Dark Materials."

They loved it.  The current BBC version though is utter crap.  Doctor Who with CGI fx.

Bailed on this half way through the first episode.

I think it's quite good, actually.

Alleged to have cost £50 million, jointly with HBO.

I'm enjoying it so far. I can't remember the film version much, I know the film trilogy wasn't finished.

I have read the books but it was a long time ago, can anyone comment on how similar the series/film is?

Why did you like the film but not the TV series?

I think the TV series is a lot better than the film - in part  because 8 hours allows more of the book to be included. I also prefer the TV's Lyra.

I’ve never seen the film version, didn’t know there was one, but the series is very good.

13 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I’ve never seen the film version, didn’t know there was one, but the series is very good.

"The Golden Compass".

DVD to be found in most charity shops....

It wasn't rushed. It had texture. The direction was expansive, taking us to the light & dark of the feel of the book(s).  The villains were genuinely frightening in a Gestapo Headquarters kind of way.  Looking forward to the next instalments.