Upgrading Windows 7 To 10?

3 hours ago, Kathrin Klug said:

No no, who told you that?

Jeffrey's right. Microsoft have moved to providing continuous updates rather than release new versions. Ensuring everyone is on the latest version saves them from having to maintain (and provide security updates for) old versions.

Whether this "Windows as a Service" as they are calling it eventually moves to the full software as a service model where you pay an annual fee for access, as companies like Adobe now do for their products, remains to be seen.

On 31/12/2019 at 16:26, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Is it correct, as I'm told, that Windows10 won't ultimately be replaced in this complex way but that it will simply be updated (routinely) from time to time?

Yes, this is correct...

Windows 10 will be the last 'major' version of Windows, with only updates and 'Service packs' provided moving forward!

Oh so now i understood the question. I thought that he's asking to revert back to previous windows or re-install it back.

10 hours ago, kidley said:

Worth posting i think

Windows 10 update alert as millions warned by Microsoft they may need to buy a new PC

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1224380/Windows-10-update-news-Microsoft-Windows-7-end-of-life

The basics of the link are true. Some of the other parts are, yet again...pure scare mongering.

This section of the forum has covered how upgrade to Windows 10 for free or very cheap. There will be times where Win 10 won't work on some very old hardware. We also covered how some versions of Linux work well on such hardware. Like phones and TVs etc, PCs get old and it could be time to upgrade.

It's simply an End of Life for an Operating System... Not the world!

Well I was amazed yesterday evening when my wife asked me to get someone to put her windows 10 on her windows 7 machine. I told her about the media creation tool 1909 and she said can you try it on mine. We did and it installed exactly as mine did a few years ago when it was free for all. No product key needed and all her programmes on windows 10. I was amazed. It seems to be working O.K. this morning.

3 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Well I was amazed yesterday evening when my wife asked me to get someone to put her windows 10 on her windows 7 machine. I told her about the media creation tool 1909 and she said can you try it on mine. We did and it installed exactly as mine did a few years ago when it was free for all. No product key needed and all her programmes on windows 10. I was amazed. It seems to be working O.K. this morning.

Excellent news, so all the programs she had installed were still there and running?

3 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Two freebies in a week! 😉

Just a small heads up if you're on 1903 and it's not triggering the 1909 update, there is an Update tool also. I've had a couple that needed the update tool using. Not a clue why it only happens on some systems, and never got round to reading up on it. 

2 hours ago, geared said:

Excellent news, so all the programs she had installed were still there and running?

All was O.K. this morning but we will have a better idea when we use it later.

I am thinking of buying a new laptop and would like to reformat with a clean copy of Windows 10 because I can’t be bothered with sorting through the bloatware. I am wondering if the aforementioned Media Creation Tool would be useful. 

It’s some time since I reformatted and have never done it on a new machine. I’ve looked it up but was wondering if someone would be kind enough to tell me the easiest way to do this? Was going to take it to our local computer shop but it will probably be closed.

I need to know the exact procedure, including partition management because it will have the recovery one and I assume that won’t be needed. I appreciate that I might have to find drivers on the manufacturers’ website.  The laptop is an Asus.

Firstly, Windows 10 has a built in "reset this PC" but will generally put all the bloatware back on - HOWEVER...

Before using the MediaCreation Tool, you should first sign-in and setup a microsoft account on the new Laptop, this way when you reinstall Windows from the MCT, it will activate properly (just to be safe)

when you come to use Media Creation tool, just boot from it, and during setup it asks you where you want to install, and shows you all the drives/partitions..

all I do to clear them, is delete any existing so there is only 1, full empty partition - then click next - Windows automatically sets everything up for you, no need to create any partitions or anything...

But it would be faster, to just go through the Add/Remove programs and uninstall any bloatware (there probably won't be that much tbh)

Thank you Ghozer - that clarifies things. I have done lots of reinstalls but not for a long time so needed a reminder. I had thought that I would need to log in first to accept the EULA but I always use my computer on a local account rather than using my Microsoft account. Will I need a flash drive or can I initiate the media creator tool from a download on the laptop? 

As you say, the bloatware might not be so bad so will take a look first. Half the problem is deciding what some of the programmes are and if you need them. I like to have a clean system with just the things I need.