Upgrading Windows 7 To 10?

On 16/12/2019 at 13:07, Ghozer said:

You can still upgrade Windows 7 to 10 for free,....

Just use the "Media Creation Tool 1909" - and choose "Upgrade This PC Now" when asked...

Follow the instructions, and you're good to go :)

(ALWAYS make sure to backup any files and documents first)

Thanks, I thought the free update period ended ages ago.  Will have a bash at this soon. 

Do I need to find my windows key?  

21 minutes ago, geared said:

Thanks, I thought the free update period ended ages ago.  Will have a bash at this soon. 

Do I need to find my windows key?  

'Officially' it has ended, but they seem to have kept the option in the tool, and it still works to upgrade 7 to 10 (Did it last week) - It authenticates and checks with MS servers so if you weren't allowed, they/it wouldn't let you :)

and no, if you're doing the tool method, upgrade first, then do a fresh install as said above, you dont need your Windows 7 key

If you are doing a fresh install after, make sure you sign into or create an MS account after the upgrade, then when you ever do a fresh install, at the point it asks you for a key, you click the option at the bottom left "I don't have a key, or will enter it later" (or whatever it says) - then when you have completed install, sign into your MS account and it should activate it without a problem..

Note: It will work and activate WITHOUT an MS account, but if you ever do any major upgrades/hardware changes, you won't be able to activate your Windows 10, without it being linked to an MS account, so I always recommend creating one!

Not sure if I needed to start my own topic but wondered if I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 would it make my laptop any faster?

I have a HP G61 4gb 64 bit laptop that I did a factory reset on but it still takes sometime to open. The laptop has never been used to its full potential used only for searching stuff online, emails and transfering music from CD's to SD card. I'm not very technical so any help is much appreciated. Thanks Alan.

10 minutes ago, alan p said:

Not sure if I needed to start my own topic but wondered if I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 would it make my laptop any faster?

I have a HP G61 4gb 64 bit laptop that I did a factory reset on but it still takes sometime to open. The laptop has never been used to its full potential used only for searching stuff online, emails and transfering music from CD's to SD card. I'm not very technical so any help is much appreciated. Thanks Alan.

I've always found it faster but I also add an SSD to most of my upgrades now. I think you'll find it better than 7, then treat it to a SSD and do a clean install of Win 10 as per the steps mentioned in this thread.

Thanks zach for the information. its much appreciated. Alan.

Alan p - as Zach has said, treat yourself to a SSD and do a clean install of Windows 10. You will find that it will give an immediate speed boost and the laptop will be quieter and cooler. Use the Crucial Scanner to select the correct SSD. 

Hello Jomie will look into it. Thanks Alan.

Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 is free,as Microsoft reports,they support the free Windows upgade method.

On 25/12/2019 at 18:09, KQjacques said:

Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 is free,as Microsoft reports,they support the free Windows upgade method.

A program called Windows 10 Media creation tool,so this is one of the ways that Microsoft is offering  Windows ueser.Before doing that,it is best to know the stops of the operation,you can get many tutorial and videos on web,this tutorial that i found,or go to Microsoft.

Edited by KQjacques

If you want to install windows 10 in a new ssd so i don't know why you are worrying about to update from 7 to 10. Make a fresh install and keep updating windows 10 with the latest updates. They are all free.

Is it correct, as I'm told, that Windows10 won't ultimately be replaced in this complex way but that it will simply be updated (routinely) from time to time?