Jump to content
Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Pub With A Stuffed Bear In The Doorway?

Recommended Posts

I probably know the answer to some of this, but feel free to correct me.

I know it's not exactly Sheffield but i'm sure we used to pass a public house  at Conisbrough

with a stuffed Bear in the doorway. I'm prety sure it must have been the Hilltop public house 

sitting on the corner of the main Sheffield Rd and Old Rd (before you drop down to Conisbrough Castle)

No excuse for going out the area but the main Rotherham / Doncaster Rd was probably how most

of us would have gone to Cleethorpes / Filey back then.

Any way how long was the Bear there for?

When was it last there?

I'm thinking it was around 1965 / 66 (ish) was it there later than that ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, 

Rocker.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're probably thinking of the stuffed brown bear at Dunham bridge on the way to Skegness. I think it was pinched by Sheffield students on a ragweek stunt and never returned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bucannear said:

You're probably thinking of the stuffed brown bear at Dunham bridge on the way to Skegness. I think it was pinched by Sheffield students on a ragweek stunt and never returned.

I still look for that every time I pass.  (sad really)

 

I think it's an Indian curry house now

Edited by Dun graftin
more info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all, but i'm still not convinced it was Dunham as our early holidays were mostly at Filey.

I seem to remember we were nearer home than going to or coming from Skegness.

We did go to Skeggi (didn't everyone from Sheff) but that was later and I do know the roads around Durham.

neither the Bridge inn or the White Swan tally with my vision of how the pub with the Bear looked.

We are talking 50 yrs + so i could be wrong (but it dosen't sound like me - lol).

Is the internett getting worse? you used to be able to go on it and find all sorts of useless information,

the only thing you seem to find on old pub's is nothing about their history but reviews of how good / bad their

food is.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wasn't the Bridge at Dunham because my uncle was landlord there during the 60's, he was Clifford  Aspinall originally from Heeley, Sheffield.

We remember seeing the stuffed bear on the way to the east coast, could have been the White Swan and, we recall it being nicked by students as part of a rag stunt.

Duffems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DUFFEMS said:

It wasn't the Bridge at Dunham because my uncle was landlord there during the 60's, he was Clifford  Aspinall originally from Heeley, Sheffield.

We remember seeing the stuffed bear on the way to the east coast, could have been the White Swan and, we recall it being nicked by students as part of a rag stunt.

Duffems

See my memory doesn't see it like that. The White Swan stands back from the road. my vision is one of being fairly close to the Bear as we drove past. I could be totaly wrong like I say it was a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

See my memory doesn't see it like that. The White Swan stands back from the road. my vision is one of being fairly close to the Bear as we drove past. I could be totaly wrong like I say it was a long time ago.

I could be totally wrong too. We used to take my grandparents (sister of Clifford Aspinall) in the 60's and we thought it was The Bridge. he was landlord at.

Clifford Aspinall's wife was Sheila, they had a son John who I believe became a chef.

I'll ask mum, she's still astute at 93!

Regards,

Duffems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was opposite side of the road to the Bridge Inn, left hand side going to Skegness. It was stood in a door way on the pavement with a small porch roof above its head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bucannear said:

It was opposite side of the road to the Bridge Inn, left hand side going to Skegness. It was stood in a door way on the pavement with a small porch roof above its head.

That's just as I remember it, Bucannear. It was an attraction for passing travellers to stop and have a look at.

My parents, like no doubt many others, stopped on the way back from Skegness in the '50s to break the journey and have a drink at the Bridge Inn. I would stay in the car, as kids weren't allowed in pubs in those days, to drink my glass of shandy and eat a packet of plain crisps sprinkled with salt from the blue pack.

Fond memories of happy days.

 

echo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, echo beach said:

That's just as I remember it, Bucannear. It was an attraction for passing travellers to stop and have a look at.

My parents, like no doubt many others, stopped on the way back from Skegness in the '50s to break the journey and have a drink at the Bridge Inn. I would stay in the car, as kids weren't allowed in pubs in those days, to drink my glass of shandy and eat a packet of plain crisps sprinkled with salt from the blue pack.

Fond memories of happy days.

 

echo.

Likewise echo beach. We had a caravan at Chapel St Leonards, 1957 till 1968 ish and would often stop on the way back at the Bridge inn. Indeed happy and more easy days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it was outside a pub on the way to skegness, just before you came to dunham bridge  toll gate 'can't remember the name of the pub but will allways remember looking for the bear when we were on the working mens club trips.

left hand side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.