Bus Destination Sign.

36 minutes ago, kaytie said:

Someone once asked me "Halfway to where?"

Quote or don't quote me on it,

but I think the answer was Chessterfield. (or perhaps Bolsovver)

1 hour ago, kaytie said:

Someone once asked me "Halfway to where?"

Didn't the buses that used to run from Sheffield (Pond Street) display just  'Killamarsh' on the destination board and just went via Intake, Mosborough and Halfway ? Perhaps Booth and Fisher bus company did as they were based at Halfway but not sure if they ran bus routes out of Sheffield city centre. I know that the current trams display Halfway on the route board.

Guest busdriver1
15 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Quote or don't quote me on it,

but I think the answer was Chessterfield. (or perhaps Bolsovver)

Halfway between Chesterfield and Rotherham, from when Sheffield was a village.

7 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Halfway between Chesterfield and Rotherham, from when Sheffield was a village.

Yep, sounds good, I knew it did actually mean half way between 2 places, but couldn't remember which. I bet before the modern main roads, this was a nightmare journey :hihi:🐴

On 15/12/2019 at 15:16, FinBak said:

Hmm...okay..!

That was His Spelling ? Or was that what the spelling on the BUS?

Don't answer that...i'm being facetious. ;)

:)

Anybody that can spell faeceshus can spell imo.  So I believe you.

23 hours ago, St Petre said:

Didn't the buses that used to run from Sheffield (Pond Street) display just  'Killamarsh' on the destination board and just went via Intake, Mosborough and Halfway ? Perhaps Booth and Fisher bus company did as they were based at Halfway but not sure if they ran bus routes out of Sheffield city centre. I know that the current trams display Halfway on the route board.

I don't recall a bus running from Sheffield Pond Street to Killamarsh when I was a kid.  Maybe there was one?  But I don't remember it.  I remember Booth & Fisher's buses which used to run from Arundel Gate, near the Fiesta club, via Woodseats, Meadowhead, Coal Aston, Eckington and Halfway, to Killamarsh.  Boothy's had a reputation for always being late.  Their collection of buses was quite eclectic.  Whereas Sheffield Transport had many similar vehicles, (The Leyland Atlantean being a popular one), Boothy's had a reight collection of golden oldies.  AEC's, Leyland Tiger Cubs, Bristol's, Bedford OB's and all sorts.  Some were old luxury coaches, some were were the same buses that they used to take miners to the pit.  I liked Boothy's buses.  They also had a driving school.  I am indebted to Mr Harold Jackson.  He was an ex Boothy's pit bus driver who turned driving instructor.  My dad, being an ex miner who had been driven to the pit by Harold, told me that Harold was the best driver on the whole of Boothy's fleet, and therefore I should have driving lessons with him, just like my big brother did.

Harold was indeed a fine driver.  I still think back now to the things he taught me.  Things that aren't taught commonly today I don't think?  He was a stickler for detail and a consummate professional driver.  He took a pride in it and I still practice the things he taught me even now.  Unfortunately, he wasn't the best teacher.  He was very short-tempered!  He used to shout his ruddy head off at me on my driving lessons and threaten to pull my head off!😮  After a driving lesson with him I used to come home, take an Aspro, and go and lay down to recover. 

All of which has little to do with buses that ran from Sheffield Pond Street to Killamarsh, but it triggered this association for me. 😀

On 15/12/2019 at 18:30, Bilge said:

I've seen this one too.  Although on the face of it a minor thing it's symptomatic of the fact the bus companies don't care about the idea of service. 

I wouldn't ever travel on a Powells. 

In the last few months I've seen a number of their vehicles taken off road by DVSA (formally VOSA) for major defects. 

One had a front tyre with just 0.4mm of tread (minimum for buses is 1mm!)

Clearly they don't care about the safety of their vehicles 

Ooh I’d love to go to ‘Manners Top’, imagine the please and thank yous, doors not being slammed in your face and Christmas trolley etiquette 

6 hours ago, catmiss said:

Ooh I’d love to go to ‘Manners Top’, imagine the please and thank yous, doors not being slammed in your face and Christmas trolley etiquette 

:thumbsup:😀