Bring Tickets Or Conductor Back On Buses

The Cards people used on Buses might be easier than tickets,but the Bus drivers are taking that long to put on there touch screens that its really making buses more later on the Bus Times,and Mondays can be the worst day of the week when people have to Renew there cards to get to work,and the Drivers are taking so long put the right the correct codes for the cards to work,tickets was a lot quicker,but a bus conductor on a bus might help even better,with them renewing the cards instead of the Driver,do the drivers really get trained to use the touch screen panels as some take that long,just one person getting on a bus can now take as long as 5 minutes to get there tickets

The bus companies are too interested in making profits to bring conductors back even though it was a much more satisfactory and quicker service when they had them. I feel much safer on the tram where a conductor is on hand to help with any potential problems that might arise be it with  tickets or people!

I agree, Blakey, Butler and Jack would be a welcome site "On The Buses" as they once were

The issue here is not "conductors" it is that people are using complicated cards that are sold by the drivers.

In my view the way forward is to do as they have in London and have contactless, making the busses cash free and the transactions out of the hands of the driver.

the driver should not be dealing with money anyway,

26 minutes ago, muddycoffee said:

The issue here is not "conductors" it is that people are using complicated cards that are sold by the drivers.

In my view the way forward is to do as they have in London and have contactless, making the busses cash free and the transactions out of the hands of the driver.

the driver should not be dealing with money anyway,

The main issue is actually the passengers (1) not having the cash (or contactless card) ready (2) not knowing where they are going - even if they make the same journey countless times and (3) not clearing the front bay once they have their ticket, therefore preventing anyone else getting on, or the driver being able to see how full the bus is.

As I have said on another thread on a similar topic,  the London 'cash free' system is illegal, but somehow they are allowed to continue using it.

I travel around the country extensively by public transport, and I've always marvelled at the speed other areas seem to be able to load a bus - even in  'seaside' areas where many of the passengers will have no idea of the fare structure - or exactly where they are going, but they (passengers) seem less like zombies

Can someone point me to why cash free in London is illegal?

17 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Can someone point me to why cash free in London is illegal?

I can't find the legislation off the top, but I'm fairly certain both @busdriver1 and @Andy Chave linked to the information - or at least explained it - previously.

On 14/12/2019 at 11:42, 1295galaxy said:

The Cards people used on Buses might be easier than tickets,but the Bus drivers are taking that long to put on there touch screens that its really making buses more later on the Bus Times,and Mondays can be the worst day of the week when people have to Renew there cards to get to work,and the Drivers are taking so long put the right the correct codes for the cards to work,tickets was a lot quicker,but a bus conductor on a bus might help even better,with them renewing the cards instead of the Driver,do the drivers really get trained to use the touch screen panels as some take that long,just one person getting on a bus can now take as long as 5 minutes to get there tickets

It's so easy to use the phone app for tickets, and cheaper for singles, that I never buy a ticket from the driver any more. Don't think it ever took 5 minutes though, not even a minute in reality. 

26 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

It's so easy to use the phone app for tickets, and cheaper for singles, that I never buy a ticket from the driver any more. Don't think it ever took 5 minutes though, not even a minute in reality. 

Very true. And it only takes longer when people don't do even the tiniest bit of forward planning - like having cash/card either in their hands, or easily accessible.

Sheffield/South Yorkshire "cards" still do not have a scheme similar to Oyster where you can put credit on a travel card for irregular journeys.

There is an  increasing number of 60+ users without bus passes, for whom the current offer of Travelcard products such as 7 and 28 day  tickets are not appropriate.

"Day tickets" have to be bought two days in advance through as online ticketing is not available to those who use "proper" computers. 

Smart phones can be difficult for some to use. 

We need to be careful that we don't penalise travellers by cost and access because they don't have the debit/credit card and appropriate technology.

Contactless is the way to go. So easy in London you just tap your card/phone/watch on the yellow reader and your done.  It is a flat fare of £1.50  on all buses. You can now hop on unlimited buses or trams for free within one hour of touching in for your first journey.

Contactless is good but not perfect.

You have to show the driver your ENCTS pass.

As a non-Londoner you cannot use your Railcard with Contactless on the Tube/Overground.