Public Transport In The Old Days

I seem to remember that we usually had a visit from relatives on Boxing Day certainly through the 50s. Given that no one we knew had a car, would buses have been running then?

1 hour ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

I seem to remember that we usually had a visit from relatives on Boxing Day certainly through the 50s. Given that no one we knew had a car, would buses have been running then?

Yes, buses were running then.. in fact Iv'e drove buses for the old STD on both Xmas day and boxing day, in the 1970s.

Were there buses running on Boxing day, the day of the Owls-Blades (4-0) match 1979 ? I seem to recall having to walk back to town, or were they on strike ?

suppose if jack and butler were doing the number 11 Blakey would be on hand to see they were nearly on time xx

One thing I remember as a kid in the early 50s was the Sheffield tram system,it was a lot better than we have now by a long shot!.We didn,t have a car until 1960 so we used it quite a lot,my Grandma lived at Firth Park we abided at Owlerton!.We caught the tram on Penistone Road bottom of Owlerton Green,changed in the Wicker onto second tram that took us to my Grans!.You could get anywhere in Sheffield by tram no problem until the Council changed over to buses,ripping up the tracks or tarmacking over them!.Having said that the bus system was pretty good too because in those days it was subsidised cheap as chips not like today,so I think it was better then than now or am I wearing rose coloured glasses?.

13 minutes ago, old tup said:

One thing I remember as a kid in the early 50s was the Sheffield tram system,it was a lot better than we have now by a long shot!.

Of course it was Tup, but bear in mind the conditions back then..

No cars clogging up the streets, very little roadworks (if any), few traffic lights.. The trams were efficient, ran on time, and had a conductor.

Almost everybody used the tram back then, in fact I think the trams used to subsidise the rates.

Fast forward to the 60s when I was married we lived on Marion Road off Middlewood Road,in the week some nights I met up with my mates in town for a drink or three!.At this time I had a car but I didn,t need it for my nights out,there was a bus every 10 minutes on Middlewood Road to town!.On the return journey the last bus home was 1-15 am outside the Black Swan,I forget the fare but it was very cheap compared to nowadays as the buses were still subsidised at that time!.Nowadays you have to take out a second mortgage to go anywhere by public transport or taxi especially!.

1 hour ago, old tup said:

Fast forward to the 60s when I was married we lived on Marion Road off Middlewood Road,in the week some nights I met up with my mates in town for a drink or three!.At this time I had a car but I didn,t need it for my nights out,there was a bus every 10 minutes on Middlewood Road to town!.On the return journey the last bus home was 1-15 am outside the Black Swan,I forget the fare but it was very cheap compared to nowadays as the buses were still subsidised at that time!.Nowadays you have to take out a second mortgage to go anywhere by public transport or taxi especially!.

No you don't.

We had the Cheapest bus fairs in the UK in the 1970s but the most expensive rates.

Nowadays the busses are less to travel on than they were in the 1970s if you compare the cost with inflation and income in mind, drinking beer in pubs, Busses and Taxis have never been cheaper.

Fares were about 10p to go anywhere, subsidised by rates charged by South Yorkshire County Council. So everyone paid for the buses even if they didn't use them.

18 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

Fares were about 10p to go anywhere, subsidised by rates charged by South Yorkshire County Council. So everyone paid for the buses even if they didn't use them.

I rest my case!.

On 14/12/2019 at 12:54, St Petre said:

Were there buses running on Boxing day, the day of the Owls-Blades (4-0) match 1979 ? I seem to recall having to walk back to town, or were they on strike ?

The busses didn’t run that day. My girlfriend now wife walked to the match.