Scotland And Independence.

5 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

Given how well the government performs then I'm sure it will be a great success

they probably feel they don't have a great deal of influence now.

So they'd rather go for even less - as 'independent' countries they would be like tadpoles trying to swim the Atlantic.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

So they'd rather go for even less - as 'independent' countries they would be like tadpoles trying to swim the Atlantic.

I don't know - ask them. 

It's possible that independence may give them more influence given that westminster handles external affairs

Well, as we are regularly told on here - now we are not in the EU (as the UK) we are insignificant, so what would they be - even inside it? Still minnows trying to avoid the bigger fish.

30 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Well, as we are regularly told on here - now we are not in the EU (as the UK) we are insignificant, so what would they be - even inside it? Still minnows trying to avoid the bigger fish.

why do you care?  the prospect of our insignificance didn't seem to bother you before. are you worried that an england without scotland would diminish us even more or perhaps that an independant scotland might outsine us?

Edited by andyofborg

I don't care, at least not in the way you are implying - and can you read my mind, I haven't made my views of the EU that well known on here. To be honest, I think you are just trying to stir it.  Am I not allowed to to have a different opinion to yours - I don't agree with it, but as a civil individual, I respect your right to hold it - but not to ram it down my throat as 'the only way'.

The bickering is to cease.

7 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

I have got a story about events in a far away country.

The Old Pretender and the Young Pretender are the two most powerful and loved people in the land.

One day they fall out and their relatives and friends in high places have to take sides.

Accusations of lying and cheating, legal trickery, nepotism, censorship will lead to blood on the carpet.

How will their loyal subjects respond?

How will the evil superpower next door react?

Have they not learnt from their predecessors who did the same things and our heros  defeated?

Do I send the script to Holyrood or Holywood?

What about the great pretender?

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

They'd be part of a group that co-operates and tries to get the minnows to grow into bigger fish.

3 hours ago, Janus said:

What about the great pretender?

Boris?

13 hours ago, Longcol said:

They'd be part of a group that co-operates and tries to get the minnows to grow into bigger fish.

I think how the EU26 consistently maintained solidarity with Ireland over the last 5 years, likewise how quickly Brussels corrected its wayward way about Art.16 after getting that warning call from Dublin, won't have escaped the attention of many in Scotland.

I honestly can’t see how Scotland rejoins the EU.

It will be very interesting when the SNP publishes its economic plans as that was seen as its Achilles heal in the last vote, especially questions around currency.

They will have to join the euro but are miles away from meeting the necessary criteria, and to get to the right place they would need a level of austerity not seen since the Greek crisis.

Some feel the EU may relax it’s rules but the euro is not a risk-free currency with questions still hanging over its long term viability so I don’t this they would or should increase that risk.

Also there seems to have been a growing reluctance in the wealthier countries to admit more poorer countries who would be met beneficiaries of which Scotland would be one.

If there is another vote it could be a reverse of the Brexit scenario where people understand more about what they are voting for before they do it which I think will be a difficult thing for the SNP to surmount.

That said these things are not always logical, and the rabid level of nationalism and anti-English hatred north of the border could force through even when it’s clear it would be a disaster.

36 minutes ago, Westie1889 said:

That said these things are not always logical, and the rabid level of nationalism and anti-English hatred north of the border could force through even when it’s clear it would be a disaster.

Pretty much all the arguments made for Brexit can be made for Scottish independence. 

It's going to be quite difficult for a group of people who have been making and justifying those arguments for the last 5 years to credibily argue the opposite point in an independence referendum.

Most people agree "government" across the entire union generally isn't working very well. The option of independence or the status quo is likely to be tight and we'll be back here again in 5 or 6 years. 

If there is a genuine desire to save the union then some change to the constitutional settlement is needed.  Because of the haphazard way our constituation has developed then tweaking one bit on it's own causes contradictions and problems which take years to iron out. Maybe it's time to be radical and deal with a lot of the other problems as well.