Scotland And Independence.

Scottish Independence? Won't happen, for various reasons, most noteably because the SNP currently have their Kilts in a bunch about issues with the government down in London.

Plus they had a chance a few years back, and come Polling Day most of 'em chickened out and said no, same thing will probably happen with the South Yorkshire Assembly vote next Thursday IMO :D 

1 hour ago, Mr Allen said:

Edited by Mister Gee

I see Nicola Sturgeon is banging her drum again. Waste of time, me thinks independence is not going to happen

Good outcome for the SNP, that’s “suppressed will of the people” manna from political heaven for their next GE.

I've always been of the opinion that if enough majority want to go then let them,  but would they be allowed back if it all goes pear-shaped?

As someone with plenty of relatives spread across Scotland, I can tell you they are basically split down the middle when it comes to independence but I do notice that the lot that live in & around the Glasgow / Strathclyde area are less in favour than those in Edinburgh & Stirling. 

I wonder if England could get in first & leave the Union?  Do you know what?  I'd bet there would be an outcry from north of the border. 

No problem if the Scots want independence but if they do, I don't want to see Sturgeon & the rest of the Scots Nats, demanding financial reparations as though they were some brow beaten, down trodden country that was once part of a fictitious English Empire.   The SNP keep banging on about how wealthy the country is & how it could prosper without the mainly English taxpayer's money.  So be it you go it alone, don't come asking the English for another penny. 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1

On 01/05/2021 at 17:57, Mr Allen said:

Scottish Independence? Won't happen, for various reasons, most noteably because the SNP currently have their Kilts in a bunch about issues with the government down in London.

Plus they had a chance a few years back, and come Polling Day most of 'em chickened out and said no, same thing will probably happen with the South Yorkshire Assembly vote next Thursday IMO :D 

Scottish Independence?     WILL  happen one day,  and why?

Because it is a voluntary union and, being voluntary, we cannot force them to stay in it forever,  unless we do what Putin had done in the Ukraine.

At the moment, it sounds as though a slight majority want to stay with us but,  such things as this court decision will keep adding to the  LEAVE numbers as it proves

that we are against democracy and behaving as though Scotland actually belonged to us.

At the last referendum, we told them to stay with us if they wanted to stay in the European Union,    and then we left.

They consider that we duped them and made it an unfair referendum and so want another and the longer we deny it, the more the leave numbers will rise especially with that useless lot in Westminster.

I personally, don't want to see them leave  but  the way things are going, it will be inevitable because you cannot force someone to stay in a voluntary partnership and they are getting angry.

I predict Sunack trying to buy his way out of it with cartloads of money he can't afford or with full independent government granted so they are completely self ruling but things will not stay as they are.

46 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

As someone with plenty of relatives spread across Scotland, I can tell you they are basically split down the middle when it comes to independence but I do notice that the lot that live in & around the Glasgow / Strathclyde area are less in favour than those in Edinburgh & Stirling. 

I wonder if England could get in first & leave the Union?  Do you know what?  I'd bet there would be an outcry from north of the border. 

No problem if the Scots want independence but if they do, I don't want to see Sturgeon & the rest of the Scots Nats, demanding financial reparations as though they were some brow beaten, down trodden country that was once part of a fictitious English Empire.   The SNP keep banging on about how wealthy the country is & how it could prosper without the mainly English taxpayer's money.  So be it you go it alone, don't come asking the English for another penny. 

Totally agree, Baron99 - they're always claiming they don't need English money, but then claiming what they do get isn't enough - double standards or stupidity?

We shouldn't be splitting this great little country of ours.

The miss management of central government feathering their own nest while cutting local government spending and services across the country is at fault

Anything north of Watford as the old saying goes, can be forgotten, as can be seen with the debacle over a new route of the promised then reneged on rail route over the Pennines to Bradford (while chucking millions away elsewhere).

Us up here in't North feel hard done to, no wonder the call for independency keeps arising in Scotland.

(Even ignoring Sturgeons not so hidden real reasons for wanting independency)

A United Kingdom should be just that 

Keep safe out there 8).

33 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Totally agree, Baron99 - they're always claiming they don't need English money, but then claiming what they do get isn't enough - double standards or stupidity?

And let's remember it's THEIR oil. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20848564.iain-macwhirter-world-gas-price-rigged-not-use/

"Britain used to be self-sufficient in oil and gas until about 2003. Most of the hydrocarbons have gone. But as the SNP regularly reminds us there is still about 20 billion barrels in Scottish waters – enough to keep the UK going for about 15 years." 

Above from one of the main Scots papers.  Expect to begging bowl about 2040 then? 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

(…)

The UK would still have to pay pensions to retired Scots (up to point in time of course) who paid into the general UK pot up to the split.

The UK may also need to get its hand in its pocket to keep the use of Stornaway and Faslane.

The UK may wish to agree tarification for procuring Scottish renewable energy.

(…)

Just sayin’

We’ve all seen, and some of us debated, the Brexit divorce bill at the time, with many a poster shouting ‘not a Penny’ in a huff…and then look what happened. Same difference here.

These settlements are never black-and-white, nor straightforward, no matter how much people may wish them to be.