Scotland And Independence.

1 hour ago, Cyclecar said:

As a non Scot - viewing from a distance - there seems to be an air of decay in Holyrood. Economic, healthcare, and education issues are all subservient to independence. All and any problems will vanish should they be completely uncoupled from the rest of the UK. Any income shortfall will be gladly made up by largesse from Brussels. 

The problems are compunded by infighting within the SNP. The two major personalities (there don't seem to be any others....) are embroiled in a legal spat which finds the party divided, and whatever the outcome governance will still suffer. To an outsider Scotland has become a monoculture, but I sense that support for the SNP is starting to drift.

South of the border we are expecting hard economic consequences when everything unwinds post Covid restrictions, and there will be criticism (as ever) of Westminster. North, thre will be criticisms of Holyrood especially in areas which have been devolved. If wee Nicola does go it will be seen as an immediate plus for the unionists. If she hangs on but presides over a gradual slide it will be seen as a long term plus. 

For some, it's like watching a fight between two boxers, neither of whom you like. The longer it goes on, and the more blows are landed, the greater the satisfaction. Politics is a grubby business.   

I've become a bit of fan of sturgeon, I've thought she comes across far better than most Westminster equivalents. However this spat with Salmond isn't helping things. If she had faith in rest of her party (can't name any other SNP MSPs) she could really steal a march on the Scottish Tories, and potentially Westminster too, by resigning. "Yes, I made a mistake. I lied but unlike Boris et al who lied about this this this and this, I'm not going to take you for mugs I'm going to resign". What a thing that would be. 

She won't of course. She's like alot of politicians the world over, a bit giddy on power and no doubt feels she has a bigger job to do and this particular bit of bull**** should be swallowed by everyone for the greater good. Couple that with the fact she's a lawyer it will be spun that she didn't tell the truth rather than lied. Bill Clinton did much the same.

OT, a bit, I suppose, but anyone notice both the protagonists have 'fishy' names?

On 03/03/2021 at 11:22, RollingJ said:

OT, a bit, I suppose, but anyone notice both the protagonists have 'fishy' names?

Both seem to be floundering atm

Unsure, but the outcome of the investigation may       sink er.

16 minutes ago, Janus said:

Unsure, but the outcome of the investigation may       sink er.

🤣 Nice one, Janus.

as entertaining as this is, if Ms Sturgen does fall because of this then the risk to the union will still be there. It might recede for a bit but it will return, especially if her replacement is from the wing of the party that is more vocal about independence. 

Should this leader do a bit of housekeeping to bring in some new blood and reinvigorate the government, and starts to sensibly explore and suggest possible solutions to deal with the negatives which people raise then it might bring this back up the agenda and get it across the line. 

For all the fluff about the people the london based conservative party isn't all that popular up there and it's hard to see a way they could significantly change that. Much of the growth of the vote for the scottish conservatives and snp has been driven by the collapse in support for labour. Both parties have new leaders now so they may start to reclaim those votes. 

Some logical and valid point there Andy. 

From this side of the wall, independence does not seem to be a prudent route to go down for the people of Scotland even if they did win the vote. Not brilliant for the UK either.  Moving the subs, and other issues that have probably  been discussed on here.

4 hours ago, Janus said:

Some logical and valid point there Andy. 

From this side of the wall, independence does not seem to be a prudent route to go down for the people of Scotland even if they did win the vote. Not brilliant for the UK either.  Moving the subs, and other issues that have probably  been discussed on here.

I quite agree it doesn't appear prudent, but as we know there are  times when prudence is ignored. 

It certainly seems that our current implementation of government from the local to the national level is not really delivering for a majority of the population. A change is long overdue. 

14 hours ago, andyofborg said:

I quite agree it doesn't appear prudent, but as we know there are  times when prudence is ignored. 

It certainly seems that our current implementation of government from the local to the national level is not really delivering for a majority of the population. A change is long overdue. 

Independence is rarely ever prudential. At least, within the economical meaning of the adjective. Just ask the Irish 🙃

Short(er)-term, Scotland’s interest for independence lies more in escaping England’s slow descent into proto-fascism, than improving its socio-economic lot. It can work on the second under its own steam and pace, once free of the first.

Today’s Police-Crime-Sentencing-and-Courts Bill vote is going to do (still more) wonders for Scottish separatists at the ballot box in a couple months’ time.

24 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The huge success of the UK covid -19 vaccine program alone is a good reason why Scottish voters would be foolish to vote for independence in the unlikely event the UK Government grants them another independence referendum anytime soon.

though the abject failure of every other english government response especially when compared with the comparatively better way the scottish govenmement has handled things would be a good reason to vote for independence.