Scotland And Independence.

9 hours ago, lottiecass said:

I love Scotland and the scots and have been up many times and made some good mates. I have discussed independence with all of them at some time or other and found it  50% for 50% against. One did say that there's a difference depending on where you ask and opinion has changed since the vote.

There is quite an easy way to find out what they think now ....

On 14/12/2019 at 09:47, andyofborg said:

I'm sure the MSP had done his homework but probably didn't want to say that one alternative would be a non-section 30 referendum and, assuming the result was in favour of independence, either use it to try and force a section 30 referendum, force  westminster to accept the result, or a unilateral declaration of independence. 

The other alternative is to keep asking for one, the government to keep denying it and each cycle adds another few people to the nationalist cause which adds to the pressure to grant one. 

I am sick of listening to Jimmy Kranky asking for a referendum ,they have had one and because it didn,t go her way she wants another,thats not democracy !.

9 minutes ago, old tup said:

I am sick of listening to Jimmy Kranky asking for a referendum ,they have had one and because it didn,t go her way she wants another,thats not democracy !.

It may not be democratic, but it's the EU way.

1 hour ago, old tup said:

of course it's democracy, 

the SNP have consistenly stood on a platform of independence, which will require a referendum.

the voters in scotland have increasingly voted for the SNP, pretty much every other party is pro-union so there are alternatives should a voter find the possibility of independence such a bad idea.

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 20:53, *_ash_* said:

I'd say to them, you can have one in 2021.

See how brexit goes.

If goes ok, then the union will be safe.

If Brexit is still going ahead in 2021 then it is unlikely to be very close to being completed. By then they will just be coming up with a list of the first countries to be inviting the UK to visit and start negotiating trade deals. I expect that Brexit will just go quiet for several years in reality.

14 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

I use to like the Scots and holiday every year there until the year they had their referendum and we witnessed a lot of bad things. There were a lot of bullying going on with their own people if they didn't  happen to agree to leave the Union.

It put us right off and decided not to go back.

I use to like the Scots Brits and holiday every year there until the year they had their referendum and we witnessed a lot of bad things. There were a lot of bullying going on with their own people if they didn't  happen to agree to leave the European Union.

It put us right off and decided not to go back. ;)

On the topic of Scotland's economic fitness to (re)join the EU, I'll happily leave the 2016 ramblings of the Adam Smith Institute, that bastion of neoliberal lobbying, to convince those in need of bias confirmation, and relate the Scottish government's own take on the topic in the meantime.

3 hours ago, L00b said:

I use to like the Scots Brits and holiday every year there until the year they had their referendum and we witnessed a lot of bad things. There were a lot of bullying going on with their own people if they didn't  happen to agree to leave the European Union.

It put us right off and decided not to go back. ;)

😀  Very funny. 

I love the Scots and visiting Scotland, but I always make sure I'm on my best behaviour to ensure a warm welcome and to avoid being called a "Sassenach". ;)

Edited by janie48
Unsuitable link

5 hours ago, andyofborg said:

of course it's democracy, 

It's not democracy for the Scottish people who voted to stay part of the UK .

Just now, Janus said:

It's not democracy for the Scottish people who voted to stay part of the UK .

why isn't it?

when the second referendum comes around, they will have the option of voting no, or yes if they have changed their mind.

5 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

why isn't it?

The people of Scotland have voted. Those that voted to leave the UK lost, simples.

2 minutes ago, Janus said:

The people of Scotland have voted. Those that voted to leave the UK lost, simples.

indeed, but that doesn't mean there can never be another one.

parties which support a second referendum in scotland seem to be in the ascendancy, and while that is the case there will be calls for a second referendum. 

the way to stop these calls is for voters to vote for pro-union parties, but they aren't despite having the opportunity to do so many times

18 minutes ago, Janus said:

Not really. If brexit hadn’t happened, then yes - they’ve had a go and lost and that’s it. However, given the huge ramifications of brexit and 5e fact the majority of Scots voted against it - in any form - a new referendum seems fair.