Scotland And Independence.

The thing is she is assuming that she would win independence , the recent vote proved otherwise. The snp did well but the independence vote is something else. Why not have an English only parliament like wales and Scotland ?

58 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

The thing is she is assuming that she would win independence , the recent vote proved otherwise. The snp did well but the independence vote is something else. Why not have an English only parliament like wales and Scotland ?

If she wasn't reasonably confident then she wouldn't be asking for one. The polls seem to have shifted towards independence, though as always poll may or may not reflect actual voting intention.

The only reason we don't have an English only parliament is that Westminster MPs wont vote for one.  We could have one if we really, really wanted one, retaining Westminster as a federal governement with responsibility for things which are genuinly union-wide such as defence etc,  

It could be the start of a renewal of our democracy, with after half a century of centralisation, powers being rolled back down to local councils so they could actually do something to make their citizens lives better, 

The economy of Scotland had an estimated nominal gross domestic product (GDP) of £180 billion in 2018. Since the Acts of Union 1707, Scotland's economy has been closely aligned with the economy of the rest of the United Kingdom (UK) and England has historically been its main trading partner. Scotland still conducts the majority of its trade within the UK: in 2014, Scotland's exports totalled £76 billion, of which £48.5 billion (64%) was with constituent nations of the UK, £11.6 billion with the rest of the European Union (EU), and £15.2 billion with other parts of the world.

A bit more digging gives this, "in the immediate aftermath of the EU Referendum  (2016) the SNP reopened the issue of Scottish independence, arguing that since Scotland voted to remain, it should become independent and continue its membership of the EU. It's since become clear that automatic continuation would not be permitted, so Scotland would have to apply from scratch. However, any application would expose a fundamental problem - that its economy and public finances are in no fit state to join."

Full Story Here.     https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/why-scotland-cant-afford-the-eu

So it looks like Scotland cannot afford to join the EU. Looks like the EU will not want Scotland either.  These results from 2016, but things cannot have changed that much in 3 years surely.

Angel1.

4 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

The economy of Scotland had an estimated nominal gross domestic product (GDP) of £180 billion in 2018. Since the Acts of Union 1707, Scotland's economy has been closely aligned with the economy of the rest of the United Kingdom (UK) and England has historically been its main trading partner. Scotland still conducts the majority of its trade within the UK: in 2014, Scotland's exports totalled £76 billion, of which £48.5 billion (64%) was with constituent nations of the UK, £11.6 billion with the rest of the European Union (EU), and £15.2 billion with other parts of the world.

A bit more digging gives this, "in the immediate aftermath of the EU Referendum  (2016) the SNP reopened the issue of Scottish independence, arguing that since Scotland voted to remain, it should become independent and continue its membership of the EU. It's since become clear that automatic continuation would not be permitted, so Scotland would have to apply from scratch. However, any application would expose a fundamental problem - that its economy and public finances are in no fit state to join."

Full Story Here.     https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/why-scotland-cant-afford-the-eu

So it looks like Scotland cannot afford to join the EU. Looks like the EU will not want Scotland either.  These results from 2016, but things cannot have changed that much in 3 years surely.

Angel1.

The Political landscape has changed dramatically since, if the U.K had voted yes to leave the EU before the Scottish referendum, the Scots would have probably voted to leave the UK.

2 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

The Political landscape has changed dramatically since, if the U.K had voted yes to leave the EU before the Scottish referendum, the Scots would have probably voted to leave the UK.

Politically the landscape may have changed, but if Scotland does not have the brass and cannot meet EU legislation that would allow them to join, then it matters not what the political landscape is.

Angel1 

The sooner the better , most people are sick and tired of hearing their  politicians  screaming and shouting day after day , In the months of Brexit debate it has seemed as though it is all about them and the rest of the UK  was just irrelevant.

10 minutes ago, TomMix said:

The sooner the better , most people are sick and tired of hearing their  politicians  screaming and shouting day after day , In the months of Brexit debate it has seemed as though it is all about them and the rest of the UK  was just irrelevant.

I like the Scots, I’d rather we stayed in Union with them.

30 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Thank you Mr G.  

3 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

I use to like the Scots and holiday every year there until the year they had their referendum and we witnessed a lot of bad things. There were a lot of bullying going on with their own people if they didn't  happen to agree to leave the Union.

It put us right off and decided not to go back.

Edited by jaffa1

1 minute ago, jaffa1 said:

I use to like the Scots and holiday every year there until the year they had their referendum and we witnessed a lot of bad things. There were a lot of bullyang going on with their own people if they didn't  happen to agree to leave the Union.

I don’t believe you.

1 minute ago, Mister Gee said:

I don’t believe you.

Are you calling me liar? That's  the truth and a lot of Scots will verify  this infact at the time there were quite a bit on the news about it. One incidence on the news on television was where a gathering of protesters and a blind man in a wheel chair holding his banner to stay in the Union and someone ripped it out of his hand and threw it in the road.  You obviously  didn't  see it.

That did it for me.

I love Scotland and the scots and have been up many times and made some good mates. I have discussed independence with all of them at some time or other and found it  50% for 50% against. One did say that there's a difference depending on where you ask and opinion has changed since the vote.