Scotland And Independence.

While I would prefer Scotland to remain as part of the United Kingdom, why would giving them a second bite of the cherry and maybe getting Independence be such a terrible thing for the rest of the Union. Even if it were to make Wales want to go the same way, have we the right to deny them the choice. I realize NI is different as it would entail the reunification of the Isle of Ireland which is very difficult territory.

Angel1.

I'd say to them, you can have one in 2021.

See how brexit goes.

If goes ok, then the union will be safe.

Based on national security I would expect the PM to say no to indyref2. Where the hell are you going to put Faslane and Coulport? Why should we be stuck with the bill to relocate it all just for their vanity project?

Scotland is a total waste of space. 

I think they should give a referendum to those in England - 'Do we want Scotland to  be part of the Union?'

I'm pretty sure that most would be pleased if they just went off and did their own thing.

I'm sick and tired of listening to them moaning about independence. Rebuild Hadrian's Wall at the same time. 

Why would anyone want to split this great little country up?

We should be making this Great Britain Great again.

Be proud of your country - yes

My accent went years ago but  Scottishness is still in the blood.

Who should get the Vote?

I was born in Scotland it says so on my birth certificate why can't i vote 

just coz i live down here?

I'm interested in how the economics would work out. Scotland has a population of about 5M (same as South Yorkshire), the UK has 66M.
European countries with 5M are Denmark and Norway, and they are not cheap places to live

Edited by ChrisIB

The Scots are banking on the fact that they would be able to rejoin the EU . But the EU has said on a number of occasions it is not going to happen Plus it would be most definetly blocked by Spain to keep Catalonia in check

10 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Why would anyone want to split this great little country up?

because they belive that being a citizen of a new country would allow them to take back control and they could make their own laws etc,

10 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

We should be making this Great Britain Great again.

and how do you propose to do that?

6 hours ago, lobster said:

The Scots are banking on the fact that they would be able to rejoin the EU . But the EU has said on a number of occasions it is not going to happen Plus it would be most definetly blocked by Spain to keep Catalonia in check

I'm not sure that in a post-Brexit world the EU would do that. Spain might or might not try to block accession but equally it might prompt them to find a long term solution to their relationship with Catalonia.  

The Tories have spelt it out clear this morning.  There will be no Scottish referendum during the life of this new Parliament. 

There was an MSP on the BBC Breakfast news this morning, being interviewed by Naga Munchetty & he was going on about a  law under something called 'Section 30' that allowed a referendum but Munchetty just batted some facts back at him to prove him wrong.  Clearly she'd done her homework & the MSP hadn't. 

47 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

<…>

I'm not sure that in a post-Brexit world the EU would do that. Spain might or might not try to block accession but equally it might prompt them to find a long term solution to their relationship with Catalonia.  

Spain is long officially on record, that it would not block Scotland's accession bid to the EU. So that's pretty much the end of that particular argument.

Beyond that, there are plenty of geopolitical reasons for the EU27 to facilitate and fast-track an independent Scotland's membership, not least to box in Wangland geographically and set a border with it on the main island.

Scotland's size, population, economy, civil service structures and domestic legislation are all much better aligned, and EU membership-ready, than those of recent East Europe accession states.

It's pretty much the no-brainer for the EU27, economically and in PR terms.

27 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The Tories have spelt it out clear this morning.  There will be no Scottish referendum during the life of this new Parliament. 

(…)

Great to read that news, Baron99.

So the Conservatives have already begun to copper-fasten the SNP's case for them, as if that case wasn't already sufficiently made for the SNP's electorate, judging from their electoral result.

So, still more strify politics in the UK for the next 5 years :thumbsup:

Edited by L00b
linky

18 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

There was an MSP on the BBC Breakfast news this morning, being interviewed by Naga Munchetty & he was going on about a  law under something called 'Section 30' that allowed a referendum but Munchetty just batted some facts back at him to prove him wrong.  Clearly she'd done her homework & the MSP hadn't. 

I'm sure the MSP had done his homework but probably didn't want to say that one alternative would be a non-section 30 referendum and, assuming the result was in favour of independence, either use it to try and force a section 30 referendum, force  westminster to accept the result, or a unilateral declaration of independence. 

The other alternative is to keep asking for one, the government to keep denying it and each cycle adds another few people to the nationalist cause which adds to the pressure to grant one.