Jump to content
The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

General Election 2019 - Results Thread.

Recommended Posts

The result does not bother me, because George Carlin, comedian and critical thinker knew where the real power lies. Whilst it is aimed at America, it is no different wherever you are. We are not in the Club. Warning, George uses the F-Bomb more than Boris's PR so be warned.

 

 

Edited by swarfendor437

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, apelike said:

Yes numbers are important but it's unfair to just use percentages to show a difference as a percentage of the population when they both also use different systems on immigration control. All that tells us is that there is a difference without telling us why and that why is the important bit.

Sorry, I thought that the difference (or lack thereof) between the systems was exactly what we were discussing.  And I'd argue that percentages are a fairer way of doing the comparison.

 

To clarify, do you think a points-based system (or more stringent application of the current system) would be a good or a bad idea?

 

I've googled quite hard, but haven't been able to find anything about large scale "special exemptions" in the current system.  There's a Shortage Occupation List that you basically have to be on to get visas in certain Tiers - is that what you were referring to?

 

Meanwhile here's some background information (which I haven't read much of yet):

 

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7662/CBP-7662.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Delayed said:

I don't know if this is a serious question or not but I'll answer all the same.

 

The eastern European migrants are subject to freedom of movement and don't require visas for work or travel. 

They don’t get it mate - just have a preference for certain types of immigrants. 
 

and to think these people are able to vote - no wonder we’re in such a mess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another interesting statistic that the GE threw up was the number of seats that Labour won in constituencies which had recorded a "leave" result in the 2016 referendum - 106, over half their eventual total of 203.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/12/2019 at 15:23, DerbyTup said:

I see the £ is soaring now - highest levels for years!  US are queuing up to do a big trade deal with us, EU still want to trade with us.  Where did it all go wrong?😀

I see the £ has now lost all of its post election gains thanks to Boris potentially reintroducing a hard brexit - something that was not offered in the manifesto...

 

I wonder how many of his mates made a few million before he deliberately crashed the £?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

Another interesting statistic that the GE threw up was the number of seats that Labour won in constituencies which had recorded a "leave" result in the 2016 referendum - 106, over half their eventual total of 203.

A lot of leave voters did still stay loyal to the Labour party just like most remain voters who normally vote Tory stayed with them. The problem for Labour is many voters who a few years ago wouldn't have dreamed about voting Tory have done the deed now and wont have shaky hands next time when the tick the Tory box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do people remember the roasting Ed Milliband got from the establishment and their media when he led the Labour Party? Red Ed, 'dangerous Marxist' and so on. Seems silly now doesn't it? His crime? Proposing a very modest redistribution of wealth from the richest to those on low incomes.

Jeremy Corbyn proposed a greater redistribution of wealth, but not even as far as Scandinavian countries or historical UK distribution and the establishment went wild on him.

If anyone on a low income voted Tory in the belief that they'll be better off, I'm afraid they have a hard lesson coming. Just remember who misled you and don't blame the disappointment on migrants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bryan Munich said:

Do people remember the roasting Ed Milliband got from the establishment and their media when he led the Labour Party? Red Ed, 'dangerous Marxist' and so on. Seems silly now doesn't it? His crime? Proposing a very modest redistribution of wealth from the richest to those on low incomes.

Jeremy Corbyn proposed a greater redistribution of wealth, but not even as far as Scandinavian countries or historical UK distribution and the establishment went wild on him.

If anyone on a low income voted Tory in the belief that they'll be better off, I'm afraid they have a hard lesson coming. Just remember who misled you and don't blame the disappointment on migrants.

Any Labour leader who comes out in support  of the people is going to get a total roasting from the powerful elite who control everything including the media. Labour Politician on lunchtime TV programme says she never got as far as discussing Labour policy as she spent all her time trying to constantly correct the personal lies about Jeremy Corbyn peddled in the media but believed by the voters.  

Every Labour leader since the 70s has received the same treatment; Michael Foot, Neil Kinnock, Ed Milliband and reached its peak with the villification of Corbyn.

Only Tony Blair survived because he was the elite's puppet, and carried on from where the Conservatives left off, carrying out many of their policies. He's now an establishment multi-millionaire. . . .

Edited by Anna B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A lot of leave voters did still stay loyal to the Labour party just like most remain voters who normally vote Tory stayed with them. The problem for Labour is many voters who a few years ago wouldn't have dreamed about voting Tory have done the deed now and wont have shaky hands next time when the tick the Tory box.

Yep and once folk make that switch it can be incredibly difficult to win them back. 

 

I find UK & US politics hilarious. We have an Eton educated buffoon actor connecting with ex-mining villagers, and the Labour Party spending  their days obsessing about trans bathrooms and such like issues. You couldn't make it up!

Edited by 26b-6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Sorry, I thought that the difference (or lack thereof) between the systems was exactly what we were discussing.  And I'd argue that percentages are a fairer way of doing the comparison.

No I was just pointing out to Delayed that his assumption that we have a points based system like the Australians have is false. As said using percentages is fine but what you are doing is in a sense trying to compare apples with oranges! If both system were exactly the same then that would be fine but they are not. 

 

Here is something to read that goes into a bit more detail about the difference and why Johnson wants to change it.

 

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/reports/the-australian-points-based-system-what-is-it-and-what-would-its-impact-be-in-the-uk/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Any Labour leader who comes out in support  of the people is going to get a total roasting from the powerful elite who control everything including the media. Labour Politician on lunchtime TV programme says she never got as far as discussing Labour policy as she spent all her time trying to constantly correct the personal lies about Jeremy Corbyn peddled in the media but believed by the voters.  

Every Labour leader since the 70s has received the same treatment; Michael Foot, Neil Kinnock, Ed Milliband and reached its peak with the villification of Corbyn.

Only Tony Blair survived because he was the elite's puppet, and carried on from where the Conservatives left off, carrying out many of their policies. He's now an establishment multi-millionaire. . . .

Kinnock??? - Just tell us Anna how much Kinnock has pocketed from the EU and his six pensions with his wife.  Good old Labour Neil with his multi-million pound gravy train from the establishment. For the people and all that. 

 

 

Edited by sheffbag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Yep and once folk make that switch it can be incredibly difficult to win them back. 

 

I find UK & US politics hilarious. We have an Eton educated buffoon actor connecting with ex-mining villagers, and the Labour Party spending  their days obsessing about trans bathrooms and such like issues. You couldn't make it up!

The BBC had a film crew in a Maltby charity shop on Friday morning and everyone they interviewed had voted Tory.  Their former MP was Caroline Flint who I think is the best female to lead the Labour Party.  Caroline Flint is the only former Labour MP I have sympathy for who lost their seat.

 

54 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Kinnock??? - Just tell us Anna how much Kinnock has pocketed from the EU and his six pensions with his wife.  Good old Labour Neil with his multi-million pound gravy train from the establishment. For the people and all that. 

 

 

The Labour party could do worse than choosing Stephen Kinnock as their next leader.

Edited by West 77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.