Jump to content

General Election 2019 - Results Thread.

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, West 77 said:

The Conservative Party gained 43.6%  share of the electoral vote.  Are there any current EU country leaders who represent political parties that gained more than 43.6% in their national elections?   

 

I went to bed happy late on Thursday night knowing there wasn't going to be a hung parliament.  Coalition governments  might work well for other countries but thanks to the first past the post system the UK now have a Government that can get things done.

It’s the sort of things they want to get done (and I don’t mean Brexit) that worries me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, catmiss said:

It’s the sort of things they want to get done (and I don’t mean Brexit) that worries me

Exactly.

We may be 'out' of the EU by the end of January, (?) but we have at least another 4 years 10 months of Conservative rule to worry about. They can do an awful lot of damage in that time...

Edited by Anna B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Thorpist said:

Is it not the case that the new MPs from recently converted labour areas will give the PM strength to resist the drift to the right of the Conservative party.

As has been stated the Conservatives have been lent the Labour vote due incompetence of the Labour leadership so hopefully they will represent their constituencies and hold the cabinet to account for their decisions

 

 

Do you really believe this?

 

Boris Johnson is the drift to the right.  In fact he's already far right, and more than ready to take others with him. The  new MPs that were elected are Conservatives, with Conservative  values and a Conservative mandate. If people don't agree with them,  they shouldn't have voted for them. Like it or not, the constituencies are now Conservative, why would they hold a Conservative cabinet to account?

 

Now they've been elected do you really think they give a toss about the electorate? .....That's why trust was always such an issue.

 

Edited by Anna B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, andyofborg said:

 

 

Edited by Anna B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

No, they left the party and formed their own new party, the Social Democratic Party, (SDP.) It was headed by 'the gang of four - Shirley Williams, Bill Rogers, David Owen and Roy Jenkins; 2 well respected sitting MPs and a former Leader of the Labour Party. Others joined them, and they later amalgamated with the much bigger Liberal Party, to form the Liberal Democrats. Liberal Democrat leader David Steel famously declared at their conference, that the Liberal Democrats should 'Prepare for Government.'

 

Went well didn't it?

Yes, the only lasting effect of the Limehouse Declaration (coupled with the Falklands War) was to keep the Tories in power for the next 16 years.  Before that particular double whammy, Labour had a consistent double-digit lead over the Tories in the polls, Michael Foot or no Michael Foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

The breakdown of the vote by Lord Ashcroft is stunning reading. The lower social classes, especially C2 overwhelmingly voted Tory. Classes AB and C1 were definitely more left leaning.  Effectively, turkeys really did vote for Christmas. 
 

Unsurprisingly, the older demographic voted Tory with the tipping point at 45+. This very surprising to me that the WASPI support for Labour didn’t materialise. That was 3m votes that should have been hoovered up by Labour. Now, I don’t want to ever hear a single word from the WASPI group that feel hard done by. The courts ruled against them, the Tory government is unsympathetic to them. Only Labour offered them a way out but they were stupid enough to vote no. So they only got themselves to blame. 

Let's just say the C2s just aren't 'woke' (I hate that term but you'll have to forgive me.) You can't wake people by just talking to them, they have to venture down the rabbit hole and do the research for themselves. It's time consuming, complicated, and you have to care enough to do it.

 

Most people don't.  

 

Until people recognise Neoliberalism for what it is, what a danger it is, and where it will lead, the 'Conservatives' will continue to dupe people, just like they've done this time. And it's going to get a whole lot worse with archneoliberalist Boris at the helm.

 

Edited by Anna B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Let's just say the C2s just aren't 'woke' (I hate that term but you'll have to forgive me.) You can't wake people by just talking to them, they have to venture down the rabbit hole and do the research for themselves. It's time consuming, complicated, and you have to care enough to do it.

 

Most people don't.  

 

Until people recognise Neoliberalism for what it is, what a danger it is, and where it will lead, the 'Conservatives' will continue to dupe people, just like they've done this time. And it's going to get a whole lot worse with archneoliberalist Boris at the helm.

 

There is a reason why they are in the lower classes with limited education. This is reality and people need to understand this. We can’t just write in crayon what this all really means for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Albert the Cat said:

There is a reason why they are in the lower classes with limited education. This is reality and people need to understand this. We can’t just write in crayon what this all really means for them. 

What an unutterably snobby thing to say. Maybe they haven't all had the same luck and opportunities. Or they could just be too busy working for a living to give the time to politics. Older people in particular still believe what they see and hear in the media, it wouldn't lie to them, would it...?  However they are all slowly but surely waking up, and when they do their anger will know no bounds 

You really are the sort of person who gives the Tories a bad name, the nasty party personified. . . .

Edited by Anna B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What an unutterably snobby thing to say. Maybe they haven't all had the same luck and opportunities. Or they could just be too busy working for a living to give the time to politics. 

You really are the sort of person who gives the Tories a bad name, the nasty party personified. . . .

Not at all. I actually voted Labour, because I was able to cut through the Tory manifesto and understand what it really meant. You don’t need luck to get a decent education, it is available to all. If you can’t apply yourself, whose fault is that. I don’t buy the argument that people are too busy working for a living. I work 13hr shifts and I still can be bothered to understand what I voted for. 
 

I wished the lowest common denominator wasn’t so clueless, but that is the unfortunate reality. Stop making excuses and step up the intelligence of the debate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

Not at all. I actually voted Labour, because I was able to cut through the Tory manifesto and understand what it really meant. You don’t need luck to get a decent education, it is available to all. If you can’t apply yourself, whose fault is that. I don’t buy the argument that people are too busy working for a living. I work 13hr shifts and I still can be bothered to understand what I voted for. 
 

I wished the lowest common denominator wasn’t so clueless, but that is the unfortunate reality. Stop making excuses and step up the intelligence of the debate. 

Yes you do. It isn't just about intelligence;  family attitudes, family support, the school you go to etc have a big baring on educational success amongst many other things which have been discussed before.

 

It was a mistake (or a huge success depending on your point of view) to mix Brexit iin with a general election. People weren't even sure what they were voting for, a new government or brexit. A very shrewd move Boris. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Yes you do. It isn't just about intelligence;  family attitudes, family support, the school you go to etc have a big baring on educational success amongst many other things which have been discussed before.

 

It was a mistake (or a huge success depending on your point of view) to mix Brexit iin with a general election. People weren't even sure what they were voting for, a new government or brexit. A very shrewd move Boris. 

I agree with Anna B on this, it was very shrewd of Boris to tell the electorate where he stood on Brexit.

 

If only Jeremy Corbyn had been clear and concise on where he stood on Brexit things could have turned out differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Albert the Cat said:

Not at all. I actually voted Labour, because I was able to cut through the Tory manifesto and understand what it really meant. You don’t need luck to get a decent education, it is available to all. If you can’t apply yourself, whose fault is that. I don’t buy the argument that people are too busy working for a living. I work 13hr shifts and I still can be bothered to understand what I voted for. 
 

I wished the lowest common denominator wasn’t so clueless, but that is the unfortunate reality. Stop making excuses and step up the intelligence of the debate. 

Are you really so naive to believe that having qualifications make you worldly and wise ? Is it not a fact that sort of attitude particularly amongst arrogant middle class socialists has itself been the downfall of Labour with many  working class voters in recent years ?

That willingness to demonise everyone who voted for Brexit as uneducated, bigoted, racist, gammon etc is one of the main reasons why many working class people have turned against Labour, that narrative manifested itself amongst the Remainers in the political establishment, and Jeremy Corbyn could not put himself on any one side of the Brexit divide because many in his party had been responsible for that. Look at the socialist worker mob that demonstrated in London at every opportunity with the Remainers, how they constantly demonised and called those they disagreed with ..... is that divisive attitude any better than those they claim to oppose ?

They have in fact created their own nemesis by being so divisive themselves IMHO !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.